[bc-gnso] ICANN Board - GAC Meeting

martinsutton at hsbc.com martinsutton at hsbc.com
Thu Jan 6 09:35:04 UTC 2011

Mike,

Great idea and thank you for pulling this together. I support.

Best wishes for the New year,

Martin

Martin C SUTTON
Group Risk
Manager, Group Fraud Risk and Intelligence | HSBC HOLDINGS PLC HGHQ
Group Security & Fraud Risk
8 Canada Square,Canary Wharf,London,E14 5HQ,United Kingdom

Phone.     +44 (0)20 7991 8074 / 7991 8074
Mobile.     +44 (0) 7774556680
Email.       martinsutton at hsbc.com

"Michael D. Palage" <michael at palage.com>
Sent by: owner-bc-gnso at icann.org
Jan 05 2011 23:22

Mail Size: 21548

<bc-gnso at icann.org>
cc

Subject
[bc-gnso] ICANN Board - GAC Meeting

Hello All,
As many of you may know the ICANN Board and GAC have scheduled an
intercessional meeting in Geneva next month to resolve outstanding issues
in connection with the new gTLD implementation process. Unfortunately to
date details of whether this meeting will be open/closed to observers has
not yet been publicly addressed.  As a strong advocate toward openness and
transparency I have drafted the following text which calls for the meeting
to be open to observers, I did so after talking with several ICANN
stakeholders that shared these same concerns.   It would be my hope that
SOs/ACs/SGs and individuals could make their voice heard on this important
issue. I welcome any questions/comments.
Best regards,
Michael

DRAFT TEXT
Over the past eighteen months ICANN has had the opportunity to navigate
through a number of challenges and achievements:  expiration of the Joint
Project Agreement and the negotiation and signing of the Affirmation of
Commitments; introduction of new internationalized top-level domains in
the ccTLD fast track process; preparing for the pending exhaustion of IPv4
address space while advancing the visibility of IPv6; and progress on
addressing remaining work on the proposed Applicant Guidebook/process to
introduce new gTLDs, including IDNs.

As important as these initiatives have been, ICANN is now experiencing a
new challenge, an upcoming consultation between the ICANN Board and
Government Advisory Committee (GAC). This consultation appears to be the
first time that ICANN?s Board and the GAC will use provisions set forth in
Article XI Section 2 to resolve situations where the Board has decided to
reject GAC advice.

In many ways, the legacy of ICANN?s leadership will be significantly
impacted by how the parameters are established for this upcoming
consultation between the ICANN Board and the GAC, which appears to have
been scheduled for the end of February in Geneva. Switzerland.

While the undersigned support this meeting as an important step in
bringing about the responsible conclusion of the new gTLD implementation
process, and other issues as defined in the GAC Communiqué, we call on the
Board to provide certain safeguards to protect ICANN?s legitimacy as a
bottom up, private sector led consensus driven global organization.

We respectfully request that this consultation between the Board and GAC
be open to observers, consistent with the practices of GAC ? Board
interactions at the public meetings which ICANN holds three times a year.
Since this is the first meeting of this nature in ICANN?s eleven year
history, the precedent for all future such meetings will be established by
this meeting.

We note that no clear communication on this aspect of the meeting has yet
been provided. Therefore, we believe it is timely to express the views of
the ICANN community on this topic. Specifically, that ICANN should provide
for both onsite and remote observers to this interaction. An examination
of the relevant ICANN bylaws, commitments and best practices are provided
below:

Article I, Section 3 of the ICANN Bylaws states that ?ICANN and its
constituent bodies shall operate to the maximum extent feasible in an open
and transparent manner and consistent with procedures designed to ensure
fairness.?

Article 3 of the Affirmation of Commitment (AoC) states that ICANN commits
to ?ensur[ing] that decisions made related to the global technical
coordination of the DNS are made in the public interest and are
accountable and transparent.? While the GAC is clearly suited to provide
advice to ICANN regarding ?public interest?, this advice should be
provided in an open meeting accommodating observers.

The new gTLD policy development and implementation process has been a
multi-year process that has taken place through a series of public
consultations, and since the majority of the items that will be discussed
in this intercessional meeting are about concerns of the GAC regarding
aspects of the new gTLD Applicant Guidebook, we ask that this meeting
provide for both onsite and remote observers.

Holding the intercessional meeting in a closed manner will raise questions
of legitimacy, and could have a chilling effect on future ICANN policy
development processes. We believe it is also not consistent with the form
of multi stakeholder model that ICANN embodies. It may even have a
negative impact on ICANN?s legitimacy within the broader stakeholder
community, which has supported it over the last twelve years.

Recently, ICANN was a recent signatory to a collaborative letter raising
concerns about the actions taken by the Commission on Science and
Technology for Development (CSTD) Bureau to exclude non-government actors
from full participation in the Working Group on Improvements to the
Internet Governance Forum.  ICANN participated in both the UN Consultation
on Enhanced Cooperation, and in the CSTD Panel held on December 17, and
actively supported the importance of allowing private sector stakeholders
in these meetings.  It is hard to reconcile ICANN?s position in this
letter if it organizes a closed intercessional meeting with the GAC to
resolve outstanding issues in the new gTLD Applicant Guidebook/process.

We accept that there may be space limitations for observers, as there
often are in the face to face ICANN meetings. Given logistics and
budgetary restraints, it is unlikely that large numbers of in-person
attendees would travel to Geneva. Therefore, ICANN should also provide
real time transcription and audio streaming of the proceedings, with an
MP3 recording in a timely manner.

SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

This E-mail is confidential.

It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you
may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have
received this message in error, please delete it and all copies
from your system and notify the sender immediately by return
E-mail.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure,
error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions.