[bc-gnso] Proposed Agenda for GNSO Council Meeting 3 February 2011.

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 21 01:14:09 UTC 2011

Dear BC Members
I am forwarding the upcoming Council agenda for Feb 3 Council call.There are two Council calls in February, and we will manage the BC mmbers calls around those two calls. 
As such these calls will address both policy topics and preparation for the S.F. meeting.  As we have committed, we will schedule a BC Call before each Council call, tol allow BC members to comment on the topics on the Council agenda. And we will do our best to have both BC councilors confirmed for these calls,as well as the full ExComm. 
These calls will need to address additional topics since we want to limit demand for mmbers calls. Thus, both calls will address other critical topics.such as close of comments on the Operating Plan; planning for the upcoming S.F. meeting, public comments as establishedby ICANN. 
Chris Chaplow, V.Chair, Finance and Operations and I will be working on dates for the next two BC calls  with the ExComm and will post the BC calls in the next few days.In the meantime, if you want to add an agenda item other than those referenced in theCouncil agenda or the Operating Plan/Strategic Plan, please do post that to the bc-gnso list. 
Last BC Call: The transcript and BC participation in the last BC call was posted recently. If you can't find it, email to either me or Chris separately and we will resent it.

We will continue the process of providing a BC transcript with the list of members in future BC calls. Please feel free to share the BC calls with your internal team membersand encourage them to join the BC calls. 
Our Bc Councilors may be sharing information on various topics on the Council's agenda.
 This is posting of the agendaas an informational 'hold the date' if you want to listen in via the Council's new feature that does allow real time listening. 
Separately, please look for an update from me as chair, on the debates on whether chairsof the Constituencies should talk about budget/operational plan issues, and whether the CEO/Chair of ICANNshould be convening a two day meeting of a self selected list of attendees to discuss the GNSO governance.
That last item should intrique all BC members. I'll do a briefing email tomorrow. 

Marilyn CadeBC Chair

From: Glen at icann.org
To: liaison6c at gnso.icann.org
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 13:45:52 -0800
Subject: [liaison6c] Proposed Agenda for GNSO Council Meeting 3 February 2011.

Proposed Agenda for GNSO Council Meeting 3 February 2011.

(Wiki agenda will have latest updates)https://st.icann.org/gnso-council/index.cgi?proposed_agenda_3_february_2011

This agenda was established according to the GNSO Council Operating Procedures approved 5 August 2010 for the GNSO Council.
http://gnso.icann.org/council/gnso-op-procedures-05aug10-en.pdfFor convenience:* An excerpt of the ICANN Bylaws defining the voting thresholds is provided in Appendix 1 at the end of this agenda.
* An excerpt from the Council Operating Procedures defining the absentee voting procedures is provided in Appendix 2 at the end of this agenda.Meeting Time 11:00 UTC

Coordinated Universal Time:11:00 UTC - see below for local times
(03:00 Los Angeles, 06:00 Washington DC, 11:00 London, 12:00 Brussels, 22:00 Melbourne )

Dial-in numbers will be sent individually to Council members. Councilors should notify the GNSO Secretariat in advance if a dial out call is needed.

GNSO Council meeting audiocast http://stream.icann.org:8000/gnso.m3uItem 1: Administrative matters (10 minutes)1.1 Roll call of Council members and polling for Disclosures of Interest • Per the GNSO Operating Procedures, Section 5.4, we are required to poll Councilors regarding “any direct or indirect interests that may affect a Relevant Party’s judgment on an issue that is under review, consideration, or discussion” in this meeting.
Here is the definition provided in the procedures:“Disclosure of Interest: Relevant to a specific issue at a specific time. A written statement made by a Relevant Party of direct and indirect interests that may be commercial (e.g. monetary payment) or non-commercial (e.g. non-tangible benefit such as publicity, political or academic visibility) and may affect, or be perceived to affect, the Relevant Party's judgment on a specific issue.”The main issues for this meeting are: GNSO Project Decision Making Registration Abuse PoliciesPost Expiration Domain Name Recovery New gTLD Applicant Guidebook
1.2 Update any statements of interest
1.3 Review/amend agenda

1.4. Note the status of minutes for the previous Council meeting per the GNSO Operating Procedures:
• 13 January 2011 Draft Council minutes – Scheduled for approval on 31 January 2011.

Item 2: Pending Projects – Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery (PEDNR) (15 minutes)Update on Working Group's progess. Working Group (WG) was started on November 20, 2008. WG is chaired by Alan Greenberg. Refer to GNSO Pending Projects list http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/pending-projects-list.pdf.

2.1: Update on WG - Alan Greenberg, WG Chair. 2.2: Discussion2.3: Next steps

Item 3: Joint Applicant Support Working Group (20 minutes)Refer to motion passed in previous meeting 

Refer to action item from previous meeting:
"Discuss the way forward given there are now two different charters for the JAS working group, one approved by the ALAC and one approved by the GNSO Council."

3.1: Would ALAC be open to accepting the charter as amended by the GNSO? Report from ALAC Liaison - Alan Greenberg 3.2: Discussion3.3: Next steps

Item 4: Cartagena Board Resolution on Consumer Choice, Competition and Innovation (15 minutes)Refer to Board resolution: 

Refer to action item from previous meeting: The Council agreed that Rosemary Sinclair would liaise with Bruce Tonkin and then the Council would consider whether it should send a letter to the Board saying the GNSO does not have the resources to undertake this work.

4.1 Update from Rosemary Sinclair4.2 Discussion

4.3 Next steps?Item 5: Recommendations re. Registration Abuse Policy (RAP) (20 minutes)Refer to letter from RAP team

Refer to motion in response to the Registration Abuse Policies Working Group (RAP WG) final report, deferred from previous meeting.(motion 1) 

5.1 Discussion

5.2 Vote (Create an Issues Report: requires an affirmative vote of more than 25% vote of each House or majority of one House) 

Item 6: Status of Stakeholder Group and Constituency statements on Recommendation 6 (10 minutes)Refer to action item from previous meeting: Compile the constituency/stakeholder group comments and submit to the Board.6.1 Update on Rec6 CWG (Margie Milam) 

6.2 Discussion and feedback from Stakeholder Groups and constituencies6.3 Confirmation of compilation of constituency/stakeholder group comments and submission to the Board (Margie Milam)Item 7: Operations Steering Committee (OSC) and Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) and new Standing Committee (20 Minutes)Refer to motion passed in Cartagena meeting
(Motion 6 Motion to extend the Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) and the Operations Steering Committee (OSC)charters).

Especially resolve clauses.
RESOLVED, The Council extends the terms of the Operations Steering Committee and the Policy Process Steering Committee and their respective work teams as necessary through the ICANN public meeting in June 2011.

RESOLVED, the Council acknowledges and thanks the OSC, the PPSC and the five community work teams for their hard work; and directs each steering committee and applicable work team chair to identify for the Council any remaining targets and benchmarks for their respective work by no later than 19 January 2011, including expected deadlines for final delivery.

RESOLVED FURTHER, a drafting team shall be established no later than 19 January 2011, to draft a charter for a Standing Committee to track and coordinate implementation of those OSC, PPSC and work team recommendations already approved by the Council and adopted, as recommended by the Communications and Coordination Work Team in its final report of 9 April 2010

7.1 Establish Drafting Team (DT) for new Standing Committee
• Volunteers? 
Avri Doria (NCSG)
Mary Wong (NCSG)
Wolf-Ulrich Knoben (ISPCP)

• DT Chair?

7.2 Update on OSC work – Philip Sheppard, OSC Chair

7.3 Update on PPSC work – Jeff Neuman, PPSC Chair

7.4 Discussion

7.5 Next steps?

7.6 Updating OSC Recommendation for Proxies in the GNSO Operating Procedures
• Bill Drake has volunteered to lead
• Update
• Next steps

Item 8: Any Other Business (10 Minutes)8.1 Update from Staff on goals, expected outcomes and organization of GAC/Board February meeting in Brussels (Staff).
8.2 Status of San Francisco planning (Olga Cavalli).
8.3 CSG vice chair election results (Olga Cavalli) Appendix 1: GNSO Council Voting Thresholds (ICANN Bylaws, Article X, Section 3)9. Except as otherwise specified in these Bylaws, Annex A hereto, or the GNSO Operating Procedures, the default threshold to pass a GNSO Council motion or other voting action requires a simple majority vote of each House. The voting thresholds described below shall apply to the following GNSO actions:
1. Create an Issues Report: requires an affirmative vote of more than 25% vote of each House or majority of one House;
2. Initiate a Policy Development Process (“PDP”) Within Scope (as described in Annex A): requires an affirmative vote of more than 33% of each House or more than 66% of one House;
3. Initiate a PDP Not Within Scope: requires an affirmative vote of more than 75% of one House and a majority of the other House (“GNSO Supermajority”);
4. Approve a PDP Recommendation Without a GNSO Supermajority: requires an affirmative vote of a majority of each House and further requires that one GNSO Council member representative of at least 3 of the 4 Stakeholder Groups supports the Recommendation;
5. Approve a PDP Recommendation With a GNSO Supermajority: requires an affirmative vote of a GNSO Supermajority; and
6. Approve a PDP Recommendation Imposing New Obligations on Certain Contracting Parties: where an ICANN contract provision specifies that “a two-thirds vote of the council” demonstrates the presence of a consensus, the GNSO Supermajority vote threshold will have to be met or exceeded with respect to any contracting party affected by such contract provision.Appendix 2: Absentee Voting Procedures (Council Operating Procedures 4.4)Members that are absent from a meeting at the time of a vote on the following items may vote by absentee ballot:
1. Initiate a policy development process;
2. Forward a policy recommendation to the Board;
3. Recommend amendments to the ICANN Bylaws;
4. Fill a position open for election.The GNSO Secretariat will provide reasonable means for transmitting and authenticating absentee ballots, which could include voting by telephone, e- mail, or web-based interface. Absentee ballots must be submitted within 72 hours following the start of the meeting in which a vote is initiated, except that, in exceptional circumstances announced at the time of the vote, the Chair may reduce this time to 24 hours or extend the time to 7 days. There must be a quorum for the meeting in which the vote is initiated.
Local time between October and March, Winter in the NORTHERN hemisphere 
Reference (Coordinated Universal Time) UTC 11:00 
California, USA (PDT) UTC-8+0DST 03:00 
Cedar Rapids, USA (CDT) UTC-6+0DST 05:00 
New York/Washington DC, USA (EDT) UTC-5+0DST 06:00
Buenos Aires, Argentina UTC-3+0DST 08:00 
Rio de Janeiro/Sao Paulo Brazil UTC-2+1DST 09:00 
London, United Kingdom (BST) UTC+0DST 11:00 
Darmstadt, Germany (CET) UTC+1+0DST 12:00 
Paris, France (CET) UTC+1+0DST 12:00 
Karachi, Pakistan UTC+5+0DST 16:00 
Beijing, China UTC+8+0DST 19:00 
Tokyo, Japan UTC+9+0DST 20:00 
Melbourne,/Sydney Australia (EDT) UTC+10+1DST 22:00 
The DST starts/ends on last Sunday of March 2011, 2:00 or 3:00 local time (with exceptions)
For other places see http://www.timeanddate.com    Glen de Saint GéryGNSO Secretariatgnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.orghttp://gnso.icann.org   		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/bc-gnso/attachments/20110120/ed58a796/attachment.html>

More information about the Bc-gnso mailing list