[bc-gnso] pressing the BC recommendations for dot-brand TLDs

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Fri Jan 28 13:24:51 UTC 2011

hi all,

as the joyously "ex" co-chair of the VI working group, i would like to heartily second everything Berry has said in this note.

the bright-line definition is crucial for any workable proposal.  i think Kurt alluded to this problem during his "what does ICANN monitor?" comments to us in Washington DC.

mikey

On Jan 27, 2011, at 6:11 PM, Berry Cobb wrote:

> Thank you Steve for updating the BC.  Adding to Steve’s points......
>
> The reason ICANN Staff, experienced Registry Operators, & some other stakeholders will not sign on for “carve outs” is because there is NO BRIGHT LINE DEFINTION FOR A BRAND.  In the context of TLDs what is a BRAND?  Is it because they are Fortune 1000 company?  Do they own Trademarks in the USA or Europe?  Do they earn over $2 billion dollars a year in revenue?  Where do we start to draw the line?  If some sort of bright line exists, then please share.  If it exists then I doubt we would see the pushback experienced today or during the VI WG.
>
> In my opinion, if the BC and IPC ever expect any headway regarding the “dot-brand” concept, then we MUST stop using “DOT-BRAND.”  Within my short ICANN career, one thing I’ve noticed is that a BRAND is a loaded and charged word among the community.  If the BC supports “carve outs,” then the case must be presented very specifically and using BRAND is not the way forward.  Framing this concept should embrace the use of “Single Registrant” only.  Notice how Single User & Multiple User is omitted?  The main reason SRSU gained support during VI is only because of the Single Registrant component and it’s limitations in how domains were registered and used.  Anything beyond SRSU was poking a stick at a tiger.  I remind everyone the reasoning for SRSU & SRMU is only because BRAND could not be defined.
>
> The following is how I view the possible scope of a “Single Registrant” TLD:
> ·         Any 2nd, 3rd, 4th,5th level domains registered are owned and operated only the by the entity that owns the TLD
> ·         All WHOIS information for registered 2nd level domains reflect the entity that owns the TLD
> ·         If the entity chooses to deploy content or allow use by others external to them, the entity is still responsible or liable for that domain and its content
> ·         The entity may register its own domains without equivalent access to other Registrars (RAA concepts should still be used, but ZERO registration fees to ICANN)
> ·         The entity may deploy and use its 2nd level domains how it sees fit and the Reserve Names list no longer applies
> ·         The entity can ”warehouse” domains because it owns the domains
> ·         The entity is required to provide Zone File Access for monitoring and compliance
> ·         I am sure there are other elements to define the boundary here….
> ·         Therefore, much of the Code of Conduct is meaningless to a “Single Registrant” TLD

> [...]

phone 	651-647-6109
fax  		866-280-2356
web 	http://www.haven2.com
handle	OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)