[bc-gnso] For review: BC Comments on 2nd JAS Milestone Report

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Thu Jul 28 13:44:09 UTC 2011

>From my understanding of the BC's established position on this subject, we are not worried about "leveling the playing field" for registry operators.

The BC is looking out for the interests of business registrants and users.  In the new gTLD program we want "differentiation" and we want to see new gTLDs in multiple scripts and languages to serve global users.   Moreover, we have said that registrants benefit if a registry protects their domain name across multiple linguistic versions of a TLD (such as .ASIA proposed in Singapore)

That's why the BC has supported giving discounts or incentives for gTLD applicants to encourage them to offer versions of their TLD in underserved languages and scripts.    We really have never worried about helping applicants in need.

True, it's difficult to know if a discount is necessary to motivate the applicant to do additional language/scripts.  Which is a good reason to set a discount equal to the cost savings of not needing to do additional applicant evaluations when one applicant has multiple strings.   That way the discount is not charity, but just a reflection of lower evaluation costs -- in a gTLD program that is supposed to be run on a cost-recovery basis.

Jon is right to say that in some cases, bundling discounts could give one applicant a slightly lower cost than a competing applicant for the same string.  But that difference reflects cost savings on applicant evaluation in cases where the applicant is spending much more to file for several strings.   It is not a charitable assistance that creates the savings.

I believe Jon is suggesting that any such discounts be revoked for a string where competing applicants received no such discount.    As a matter of fairness that makes some sense, but I doubt it will be a significant amount.

Hope that helps,
Steve

Executive Director
NetChoice