[bc-gnso] urgent update to all BC members -- regarding BC statement regardingBoard-GAC Scorecard issues

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Mon Mar 14 16:06:57 UTC 2011

i'd like to chime in opposing the limit-the-pool idea as well -- the word i'm getting is that the applicant pool is melting away as this long process continues to stretch out.

mikey

On Mar 14, 2011, at 8:03 AM, <jarkko.ruuska at nokia.com> wrote:

> I would also advise against limiting the amount of applications in this round. The rules for that would be near impossible to define (in any reasonable timeframe) and there would always be room for gaming.
>
> I see that the new gTLD process is going to be self-limiting. There won’t be any mass delegations to the root as all the applications and applicants will progress with different speeds.
>
> Some of them will get stuck in the extended evaluation phase. Some them will be quickly approved by ICANN but will then get stuck in the Registry agreement negotiations with ICANN.  Of those who clear the negotiations a portion will get stuck in the pre-delegation testing phase. And finally many of those new gTLDS that will actually get through all the stages are not immediately delegated because of business of other reasons.  I hope that this example illustrates how many bottlenecks there can be in this process, let alone the ones that are currently unknown.
>
> BR,
>
> -jr

phone 	651-647-6109
fax  		866-280-2356
web 	http://www.haven2.com
handle	OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)