[bc-gnso] Announcement of Election of Vice chair from Non Contracted Users House - Wolf Ulrich Knoben, from ISP Constituency

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 27 12:41:01 UTC 2011

Dear members
I share the GNSO Secretariat's announcement of the outcome of the 'House" election of our Vice Chair for the GNSO Council.

Background that may be useful: For those of you new to the complex, layered approach of the organizational structure of the GNSO, the bylaws provide for Stakeholder Groups, which are organized into two Houses, and for three Nominating Committee appointees, who work together on managing the gTLD policy process, as provided by the ICANN bylaws.
The GNSO does not have a chair, per se, of the SO, unlike the ccNSO, which has different bylaws.  The  Council is focused on gTLD policy and is a critical activity and focus for the BC,  and our larger group -- the Commercial Stakeholder Group which includes the BC, ISPs and IPC.  Other wider SO issues, such as the Review Teams established by the Affirmation of Commitments, or the Strat Plan/Budget Operating Plan are managed within the leadership of the SGs and Constituencies.
The election process of the Council Vice Chair from our House is managed by the leadership of the two Stakeholder Groups of our House and took some time to finalize, but the election is concluded with Wolf-Ulrich's election to that critical leadership role in the GNSO Council.
The role of the Council Vice Chair from our House is to ensure that the administrative and broader policy interests of our House are incorporated into the management planning process, so not to advocate a position, but to ensure that the over time management, resource focus, etc, are taken into account in how the Council's leadership organized and plans work.
Each house has a V.Chair which is elected by that House, according to their procedures.  The Council Chair is elected by the sitting Councilors, similar in timing to the Board election -- e.g. at the 'annual' meeting, which is typically the last meeting of the year, the 'old' Council closes. The 'new' council takes their seats, and then the election for the next year's Chair is held.  While this has some logic as it follows the Board's example, it can mean that two brand new Nominating Committee appointees vote for a Chair, without any opportunity to get to know their 'role' or said candidate(s).
We will send a thank you to Mary Wong, from the Non Commercial Stakeholder Group, who was last year's Vice Chair of the Council.
And a note of congratulations to Wolf Ulrich.
Marilyn CadeBC Chair