[bc-gnso] Updated FY12 op plan, released on 12th of Sep - Chris Chaplow

Chris Chaplow chris at andalucia.com
Fri Sep 16 16:27:24 UTC 2011

Dear Members,

Here is my update that I was intending to report on the call.

Third FY12 budget has just been published.

To remind you these were Draft in 17-May, then Public and Constituency
comments, board approval 21-June subject to unspecified changes.  Approved
budget published 9-August.    (Only changes I can see from draft to approved
were the AC/SO support requests reduced from 970k to 597k)  although the
introduction does mention board minuted approval of RPKI (no numbers) and
JAS ( 2m$ but I can not see it in the budget)

Rational for the  9 Sept Budget is

Based on the Board's decision to approve the launch of the New gTLD Program
and to open the application window on 12 January 2012, the application
processing now extends into the 2013 fiscal year.   Therefore, it became
obvious that including the New gTLD revenue and expenses across FY12 and
FY13 presents a more accurate view of the overall FY12 budget.

Also published are a
<http://www.icann.org/en/financials/consolidated-budget-fy12-09sep11-en.pdf>
new consolidated budget schedule  which simply summarizes the consolidated
budget detail into two pages.  (somebody must have taken my idea from the
sheet I waved at the BC board meeting)  and a new schedule presenting the
<http://www.icann.org/en/financials/new-gtld-program-cash-flow-09sep11-en.pd
f> estimated cash flows for the New gTLD program, to include the processing
of the 1st round applications over FY12 and FY13.

Also mentioned is a re-allocation of approved constituency funding from
three At-Large regional meetings to one General Assembly are reflected in
this
<http://www.icann.org/en/financials/adopted-opplan-budget-fy12-09sep11-en.pd
f> updated FY12 Budget ( although this was in the 9-Augand and the heading
does not mention the denial of the constituency requests element)

So what highlight of this new budget. 97m gTLD income (500 * 185k) is moved
from FY12 to  27m in FY12 and 64m FY13. Costs move as well but this has the
effect of moving the previous  this has the effect of reducing the 18m
increase in net assets (profit) to only 180k.  (a number so small and
positive that it must have been worked backwards)   Also new  is out of 94m
income that is allowance for 8.2m refunds.  Costs already occurred in
previous years seem to be included again. So it look like the whole exercise
is not to show profit for the program.  This would be a conservative as
accounting is supposed to be.

I have to go now so will send this first part now and another to more to
follow.

Chris Chaplow
Managing Director
Andalucia.com S.L.