[bc-gnso] Important announcement -- Defensive Registrations

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 14 06:54:34 UTC 2012

Dear Members
This is a reminder about the announcement regarding the defensive registration 'issue'.  As several members have contacted me about this, we will want to have a discussion with members who face these issues and have first hand experiences and concerns.  I will work with Steve DelBianco and other members of the ExComm on a schedule and approach, which might be a mini online survey to gather information from members.   Concerns about defensive registrations -- their burdens, and challenges -- have remained an ongoing concern by members, and this is an opportunity to understand the range of those concerns within our own membership.
We of course recognize that individual companies will probably want to participate directly in the comment process.
Marilyn CadeBC Chair

Forum Announcement:Comment Period Opens onDate:6 February 2012Categories/Tags:Top-Level DomainsPurpose (Brief):The New gTLD Program features carefully crafted, new protections for trademark owners and consumers. When considering applications for new top-level names, the process is designed to protect these important interests through independent objection and dispute resolution processes (and other processes). However, as the time of the opening of the new gTLD application window drew near, parties stated their perception that they will need to submit "defensive" gTLD applications as a means to protect their trademarks. ICANN is seeking public comment on the sources of this perception and how it can be addressed.Public Comment Box Link:http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/newgtlds-defensive-applications-06feb12-en.htm