[bc-gnso] FYI -- Mikey show-and-tell -- Notification -- DSSA selects NIST 800-30 methodology

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Tue Jan 10 12:43:54 UTC 2012

Hi all,

this is sortof a "what Mikey's been doing at summer-camp" type note that I sent to Stephane yesterday.  that's the reason that capital letters and correct punctuation have crept in…  i thought some of y'all might be interested in this little slide deck too.  feel free to push it along to anybody else you think might like to see it.

mikey

Dear Stephane,

While the DSSA plans to provide a complete update on our progress at the Costa Rica meeting, we the co-chairs thought that you, and the rest of the Council, might want to be notified separately about a significant "process" decision that we made while doing our work so far.

We decided to look for pre-built methods for conducting a risk assessment -- partly because a risk-assessment is what we have been tasked to do and partly because we felt that using pre-defined methods might save us time and improve the quality of our work-product.

We're pleased to inform you that we've found a methodology that fits our needs well, is available at no charge and will most assuredly be supported for some time to come -- NIST 800-30.

We've attached a very short slide deck that gives a broad overview of the methodology for your review.  Please don't hesitate to contact any of us if you have questions or would like to learn more.

Thanks,

DSSA co-chairs and staff