[bc-gnso] FW: [Bc-private] URGENT -- attachment for one of our discussion topics on BC Call

icann at rodenbaugh.com icann at rodenbaugh.com
Tue Jan 10 21:05:25 UTC 2012

Marilyn, thanks for compiling this list.  Can you or other proponents of
these proposals please provide more clarity re items 5, 6 and 8?

Re no. 5, is this referring to our past position, calling for lowering of a
successful score in the Community Priority Evaluation from 14 points to 13
or 12 points?  If so, we should just state that again.  If not, then please
explain what exactly you hope to review and for what purpose.

Re no. 6, what specific harm do you seek to address, and what suggestions
for improvement are proposed?  Nearly every dictionary word is someone's
trademark.

Re no. 8, who actually supports this proposal?  How would you propose it
would work in practice, where nearly every dictionary word is someone's
trademark?  Interesting inclusion of the phrase "or include the identical
trademark match name", that would give extremely powerful rights to anyone
with a dictionary word, or an acronym, as a trademark.  ING comes to mind
immediately.  Also interesting to mention 'reserve names which meet certain
criteria', could you elaborate as to what sorts of criteria you are
considering, in order for a trademark owner to achieve this new blocking
right, as opposed to all other trademark owners who might want the same
right?

Until there is some further clarity and specific agreement of the BC per our
Charter, those "proposals" should be removed from the list of suggested
improvements.  Otherwise the recommendations are consistent with prior
agreed BC positions.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Rodenbaugh