[bc-gnso] .Feedback re questions regarding list of imporovements to the new gTLD program

Smith, Bill bill.smith at paypal-inc.com
Wed Jan 11 01:05:50 UTC 2012

I think item #9 should be reconsidered as one where the train has already left the station, perhaps with bloodied passengers and baggage trailing behind. Do we really believe that submitting a suggestion to improve communications regarding the new gTLD process, even if accepted, will have any impact on a program due to launch in about 24 hours?

I'm certain improvements to the program could be made but have doubts that any improvements developed in ICANN time would have significant impact. Developing a new plan, even in the best of circumstances, takes time and effort. In addition, it is entirely possible, if not likely, that any ICANN staff that would work on the development of such a plan have been tasked with responding to media and other queries once the program doors are opened. Given the media attention of the past few weeks, I would be surprised if this was a quiet launch.

If we submit suggestions, I think they should be specific,  well-considered, timely, and  implementable. In my opinion, item 9 fails several of those tests.