[bc-gnso] ICANN Eliminates Board Meetings at ICANN Meetings

Mike Roberts mmr at darwin.ptvy.ca.us
Tue May 1 19:53:02 UTC 2012

I agree with prior comments.

In the early days, Esther and I and the Board had an unwritten rule that we would not act on significant resolutions in a telephone meeting.  We didn't always meet that standard, but we tried.

Some other considerations:

- If the Board is saying that it is only going to have telephone meetings, then it is very bad practice, to say nothing of transparency, to attempt to engage in substantive discussion and debate over the telephone.

- if the Board is saying that it will meet face to face to do business, other than at scheduled ICANN meetings, then there is no reason for such meetings not to be public, at least to some reasonable extent.  We are not talking about renting Rockefeller Center.  And webcast as well.

- In an increasingly broadband world, there is no reason not to save some money by doing regional meetings, linked by real time video.

- the NomCom, and others, have been concerned about the exorbitant workload imposed on ICANN Directors.  By any corporate standard, the current demands have been and are unreasonable, and have the negative result that qualified people can not serve, regardless of whether there are Director fees on the table, or not.  The most talented people are already busy people, by definition.

- Mike