[bc-gnso] Important to hear from members -- Reconfiguring the URS?

Ron Andruff randruff at rnapartners.com
Mon May 7 19:26:59 UTC 2012

+1

Ronald N. Andruff
RNA Partners, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-bc-gnso at icann.org [mailto:owner-bc-gnso at icann.org] On Behalf Of
Mike Roberts
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 1:51 PM
To: Marilyn Cade
Cc: Sarah Deutsch ; psc at vlaw-dc.com ; Mari Pattullo ; Elisa Cooper ; John
Berard ; sdelbianco at netchoice.org ; Chris Chaplow ; Bc GNSO list ; Zahid
Jamil
Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] Important to hear from members -- Reconfiguring the
URS?

Marilyn -

If the Board uses a "summit" to bypass the policy procedures detailed in the
Bylaws, it risks being sued, etc., as it was in ICM case.

There are lots of things could stand improvement in the GNSO, but going
around the Bylaws helps no one.

My recommendation is to take fairly strong stand asking for clear statement
on how any summit would relate to policy making rules contained in By Laws.

- Mike

On May 7, 2012, at 9:35 AM, Marilyn Cade wrote:

> Folks, give us some additional advice: Chris and I will be on budget calls
Tues and Wed.

> If NOT a Summit, or IF a Summit, what?
>
> We can't do much on substance on a budget camm, BUT we can say: high
concern. Didn't get it right on any front. NOT representative of parties
most affected.

<Elisa.Cooper at markmonitor.com>; <marilynscade at hotmail.com>;
<bc-gnso at icann.org>
> Cc: <zahid at dndrc.com>
> Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] RE: Important to hear from members -- Reconfiguring
> the URS?
>
> I respect Phil and his diligent representation of his domainer clients on
this issue but I disagree. The UDRP's preponderance of evidence standard
combined with establishing the already high bar of bad faith registration,
use or trafficking in domain names has worked well. As someone with
experience suing cybersquatters, we can obtain "clear and convincing"
evidence usually only after months and sometimes years of litigation through
discovery.

> I agree with Anjali that business owners need to have a real remedy like
the do not sell list that prevents registrations of brands at the second
level along with a workable URS. The URS problems go way beyond the price.
As currently drafted, the process is fatally flawed at $300 and certainly
will not get better at a higher price. The issue goes needs a better and
fuller reevaluation process with broader participation, including from BC
members.

<Elisa.Cooper at markmonitor.com>; 'Marilyn Cade' <marilynscade at hotmail.com>;
'John Berard' <johnberard at aol.com>; 'Steve Delbianco'
<sdelbianco at netchoice.org>; 'Chris at Andalucia' <chris at andalucia.com>; 'bc
- GNSO list' <bc-gnso at icann.org>
> Cc: 'Zahid Jamil' <zahid at dndrc.com>
> Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] RE: Important to hear from members -- Reconfiguring
the URS?

> Lowering the current burden of proof from "clear and convincing evidence"
(strong case) to the same as the UDRP, which is "preponderance of the
evidence" (which could be as low as 51/49) is not consistent with targeting
"clear cut cases of trade mark infringement". That would bring in "shades of
grey" cases that are not suitable for URS (intended for slam dunk, black and
white cases) and belong in UDRP. It would also convert URS from a supplement
to a substitute vis-à-vis UDRP.

> No competent examiner can properly weigh the evidence and provide adequate
due process in such a case for a fee in the $300 to $500 range, which
includes not just their compensation but the administrative costs of the
accredited provider.

> Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
> Virtualaw LLC
> 1155 F Street, NW
> Suite 1050
> Washington, DC 20004
> 202-559-8597/Direct
> 202-559-8750/Fax
> 202-255-6172/cell
>
> Twitter: @VlawDC
>
> "Luck is the residue of design" -- Branch Rickey

Of Marie Pattullo
> Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 6:55 AM
> To: 'Elisa Cooper'; 'Marilyn Cade'; 'John Berard'; 'Steve Delbianco';
'Chris at Andalucia'; 'bc - GNSO list'
> Cc: 'Zahid Jamil'
> Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] RE: Important to hear from members -- Reconfiguring
the URS?

> Dear all,
>
> AIM's members believe that we definitely need the URS, and as soon as
possible. We need it to be a faster and cheaper solution than the UDRP, as
the URS was originally meant to be. We also very much support the lowering
of the burden of proof to deal with clear cut cases of trade mark
infringement.

> Kind regards
>
> Marie

On Behalf Of Elisa Cooper
> Sent: lundi 7 mai 2012 4:59
> To: Marilyn Cade; John Berard; Steve Delbianco; Chris at Andalucia; bc -
GNSO list
> Cc: Zahid Jamil
> Subject: [bc-gnso] RE: Important to hear from members -- Reconfiguring the
URS?

> I agree - I think without really understanding what it is that they plan
to "reconfigure", it's difficult to know whether it's policy or
implementation.