[bc-gnso] .COM Renewal Comments

icann at rodenbaugh.com icann at rodenbaugh.com
Mon May 14 16:45:27 UTC 2012

Thanks Elisa.  We support this.

Mike Rodenbaugh

RODENBAUGH LAW

tel/fax:  +1.415.738.8087

http://rodenbaugh.com

From: owner-bc-gnso at icann.org [mailto:owner-bc-gnso at icann.org] On Behalf Of
Elisa Cooper
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:23 PM
To: 'Bc GNSO list ' (bc-gnso at icann.org)
Subject: [bc-gnso] .COM Renewal Comments

BC Members,

Per the Member's Call last Friday, please find below brief comments
regarding the renewal of the .COM contract:

The BC supports VeriSign's continued operation of the .COM Registry.

However, we strongly urge ICANN to take this opportunity to require the
maintenance of Thick Whois by VeriSign for the .COM Registry.

We believe that requiring all Registries to comply with Thick Whois is an
important first step in improving Whois.

The BC has previously stated the importance of timely, unrestricted, and
public access to complete and accurate Whois information. While the BC
recognizes that Thick Whois does not improve accuracy, it does address the
requirements for timely, unrestricted and public access of Whois
information.

The BC expects that other ongoing ICANN projects will improve Whois accuracy
and responses by privacy/proxy services to relay / reveal requests.  In
particular, we expect improvements to result from:

-          current negotiations on the Registrar Accreditation Agreement
(RAA);

-          implementation of SAC 051 recommendations (link
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/sac-051-draft-roadmap-18feb12-e
n.htm> ); and

-          policy development indicated by results of five pending Whois
studies (link).

Rapporteur for this Discussion Draft: Elisa Cooper

These comments are due Thursday, May 17th.

The comments are in line with our stated position, however, please let me
know if you have any additions, or edits as soon as possible.

Best,

Elisa

Elisa Cooper

Director of Product Marketing