[bc-gnso] Clarification

Michael D. Palage michael at palage.com
Mon May 14 18:00:30 UTC 2012

Hello All,

I am a little confused by the wording "[w]e believe that requiring all
Registries to comply with Thick Whois."  How does one "comply" with thick
whois?  Registries such as .NAME, .TEL and now .CAT "operate" their registry
by collecting Thick whois data, but comply with national privacy laws in how
they provide access to that data set. Having worked with a large number of
new gTLD applicants with a variety of business models, I think the BC needs
to be a little more careful in how we word our statements so they scale in a
future world of thousands of new gTLDs.

Therefore, I would recommend that we change the phrase "comply with" to
"have direct access to."

Best regards,

Michael