[bc-gnso] Expanding the Internet domain space - Google Anouncement

Chris Chaplow chris at andalucia.com
Thu May 31 17:50:36 UTC 2012

In 2016, it’s estimated that almost half of the world’s population will be
online, yet
<http://www.verisigninc.com/assets/domain-name-brief-march2012.pdf> nearly
50 percent of the websites we visit are found in the .com
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-level_domain> top-level domain(TLD), which
was among the first TLDs created in 1984. Despite the great opportunities
the web has enabled for people around the world, there is still a lingering
question about the diversity of the domain space (given that the number of
generic TLDs has only increased by 14 in the last 28 years).

In 2008, ICANN announced a program to expand the number of generic TLDs
(think .com, .org, .edu), developed through its bottom-up, multi-stakeholder
process, in which we participate. Given this expansion process, we decided
to submit applications for new TLDs, which generally fall into four
categories:

·         Our trademarks, like .google

·         Domains related to our core business, like .docs

·         Domains that will improve user experience, such as .youtube, which
can increase the ease with which YouTube channels and genres can be
identified

·         Domains we think have interesting and creative potential, such as
.lol

We want to make the introduction of new generic TLDs a good experience for
web users and site owners. So we will:

·         Make security and abuse prevention a high priority

·         Work with all ICANN-accredited registrars

·         Work with brand owners to develop sensible rights protection
mechanisms that build upon ICANN’s requirements

We’re just beginning to explore this potential source of innovation on the
web, and we are curious to see how these proposed new TLDs will fare in the
existing TLD environment. By opening up more choices for Internet domain
names, we hope people will find options for more diverse—and perhaps
shorter—signposts in cyberspace.

Posted by Vint Cerf, Chief Internet Evangelist

<http://googleblog.blogspot.com.es/2012/05/expanding-internet-domain-space.h
tml>
http://googleblog.blogspot.com.es/2012/05/expanding-internet-domain-space.ht
ml