[bc-gnso] Internet eco System/WCIT

Marilyn Cade mscade at cox.net
Tue Nov 27 13:47:37 UTC 2012

Dear BC members

While we are tremendously busy @ICANN, there is also a lot going on in the Internet Eco System front that has implications for ICANN. Many of you attended, or participated in the workshops at ICANN on ICANN and the Internet Eco System.

I saw this recently, and thought it might be a useful backgrounder  and status update. The ITU Treaty conference begins on 1/3 and concludes essentially for negotiations on 1/14, with formal publication on 1/15.  It is too complex and not useful to dwell on
the substance, however, as this topic has been of concern to many BC members, I am providing a link to a recent Forbes article.

This is provided as a background document.  I know that many of the BC companies, in their individual capacity, are actively attending or following the ITU WCIT.

This posting is not to create a BC debate, but to inform other members that many of your colleagues in the BC are contributing to activities or initiatives that support ICANN's role and core mission.

Technically, the WCIT should not be about ICANN but certain states are proposing changes in the ITU Treaty on Telecommunications Regulations that have implications for the Internet.

We have a tremendous number of hot items at ICANN, but during December, the world will be watching Dubai and this conference.
If you want to post something on the BC list on this topic, please use a subject line of Internet Eco System/WCIT, so that members not interested, can ignore and focus on other ICANN related topics.

Marilyn Cade

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrydownes/2012/11/26/un-agencys-leaked-playbook-panic-chaos-over-internet-treaty/