[bc-gnso] On Internet rules, India now more willing to say ICANN

Chris Chaplow chris at andalucia.com
Sun Oct 14 01:05:25 UTC 2012

India has reinvented its position on Internet governance, hoping to become a
new voice of reason in what has so far been a deeply polarised global
debate.

The change, effected after detailed inter-ministerial as well as
multi-stakeholder consultation, is intended to distance India from any model
propagating governments taking “charge” or “balkanising” the Internet. It
was unveiled at the recent Budapest Cyber Space Conference.

According to Minister of State for Telecom Sachin Pilot, who led the Indian
delegation to Budapest, instead of opposing the U.S.-based Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and its operations
through an earlier proposal called the U.N. Committee on Internet-Related
Policies (UN-CIRP), India will pursue enhanced cooperation through wider
dialogue.

“In our meetings with Fadi Chehade, the new CEO of ICANN, I have sought far
stronger representation of the developing world on the four ICANN Advisory
committees”, Mr. Pilot told The Hindu.

Continues

<http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/on-internet-rules-india-now-more-will
ing-to-say-icann/article3994985.ece?homepage=true>
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/on-internet-rules-india-now-more-willi
ng-to-say-icann/article3994985.ece?homepage=true

Chris Chaplow
Managing Director
Andalucia.com S.L.
Avenida del Carmen 9