[bc-gnso] FOR CONSIDERATION: COMMENT ABOUT WHETHER THE BOARD'S APPROACH TO PUBLIC FORUM IS WORKING FOR THE COMMUNITY

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Thu Oct 18 12:18:35 UTC 2012

Sounds like a good point to make in the public forum today.

When to do it?   Maybe you get in line first, right after the board reports are given.

From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade at hotmail.com<mailto:marilynscade at hotmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:44 AM
To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso at icann.org<mailto:bc-gnso at icann.org>>
Subject: [bc-gnso] FOR CONSIDERATION: COMMENT ABOUT WHETHER THE BOARD'S APPROACH TO PUBLIC FORUM IS WORKING FOR THE COMMUNITY

Please give some thought to whether you think that the approach of the Board /staff taking notes in various forums and then taking up 40 minutes to announce what they heard and what they are doing about it meets your needs. I think it is a good idea, but they allow only 20 minutes to comment, in 2 min slots, which means only 10 people get to respond.

Perhaps it is a good idea but should be a time slot of its own? This week's agenda has been incredibly full.  It is challenging to imagine how members of the community can speak.

Also, the strange item on the Forum about community of volunteers is put forward by NPOC, without support from other groups and is not a clear intent/purposed item. It is a time slot that you may want to consider as one you may make points in, but you will have to try to put them into the concept of how participants/stakeholders interact or work, or are attracted to ICANN for participation and engagement.

One thought about what I'm hearing as a strange sort of 'word' divide: terminology for participants:  Volunteers:

I do not consider you, or others, or myself volunteers. We are participants in building and creating a governance organization -- ICANN, and in developing polices for coordination of the unique identifiers, and these decisions are affecting both social and economic, and political issues externally. :-) It's hard work, isn't it? But vital.

For some, using the term 'volunteer' may sound trivilizing; for others, it is a badge of honor. BUT, it is a word that is creating a 'thought' divide -- between civil society and contracted parties. Contracted parties are also building and contributing to ICANN and many of them spend as much time on good work on Internet governance and ICANN governance [or more] than some of us do.  Perhaps another word which is more broadly inclusive and respective of all may be needed -- how about stakeholder?

Marilyn