[bc-gnso] report from Toronto session: proposal to consolidate meeting locations

Mike Roberts mmr at darwin.ptvy.ca.us
Thu Oct 18 14:41:26 UTC 2012

I think the BC should file comments on this.

The purpose of the rotating meetings evolves as the organization grows.  Need to be sensitive to why people come.   In early days, mostly to help stand up ICANN, and to protect perceived organizational interests.  Today, more commercial, business flavor.  Tomorrow?

Comments on site thus far are good and suggest more staff work is needed.  Particularly in assessing overall attractiveness/efficiency of sites.  Example matrix:

- Visa availability
- Low (lower?) airfares
- Hotel/conf venue and guaranteed discount rates
- weather/local interest etc
- burden on staff to support (current arrangements are terrific drain on scarce staff time)

Recently, an American networking organization I have been involved with that draws 800-1000 attendees decided to have one major policy oriented meeting a year near Washington DC (home of policy for us whether we like it or not!), and a second meeting that moves around and also tailors its agenda to current items of major attendee interest/concern.  May be some lesson here for ICANN.  Do we really need to visit every topic every meeting?

- Mike