[bc-gnso] RE: Report from NTIA-USPTO meeting with Industry, September 5, 2012

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Mon Sep 10 16:11:26 UTC 2012

Just to clarify in regard to this portion of the report:

"Phil Corwin (ICA) said that TM Claims Notices could scare some potential registrants so they won't buy the name.   If the warning extends to (TM+generic terms) it could suppress demand for names in new domains and "impair the success" of the TLD expansion."

ICA does not have a position on the expansion of terms eligible for registration in the TMC, and thus to generate warnings of potential  infringement to individuals attempting to register a "TM + any generic term from the brand's description of goods and services" as characterized by Kristina Rosette. That is a fairly narrow expansion of the current exact match rule and I can run it past my members - although it should be recognized that there are many situations where someone other than the TM holder could register a domain consisting of that combination without any bad faith registration and use. Also, while I didn't raise it at the DOC meeting, the TMC implementation group has established rather high standards for the TMs that can entered into the database and any discussion of broadening eligibility to combinations with related goods and services has to consider whether that undermines those standards.

My verbal comment actually went to the suggestion that TM owners be permitted to use "name spinners" and to register hundreds or even thousands of terms in the TMC database related to a single TM. That goes way beyond the current policy, and it would likely generate lots of erroneous warnings to potential registrants seeking to register creative names for their web-based enterprises with absolutely no intent to infringe on the TM. Most potential registrants aren't sophisticated about TM law and aren't likely to spend $ on legal advice just to register a domain - so if they get repeated warnings of potential infringement as they attempt to register a variety of related domains they may just pull back from the transaction and fall back to an incumbent gTLD that isn't covered by the TMC.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050