[Bc-private] [bc-gnso] For expedited review by 17-Sep-2012: proposed expansion/clarification of BC's position on TM Claims Notices

Marie Pattullo marie.pattullo at aim.be
Mon Sep 17 15:19:26 UTC 2012

Steve, all

Apologies for the late response – I was in meetings both Friday and this morning, and am about to leave to another one. Issues being discussed by AIM members relative to the MIT proposal are:

·         Is the paper only intended to cover organisations such as Red Cross, banks and similar entities?

·         What about the serious consumer confusion with sites using domain names containing (famous) trade marks?

·         Disagree that “the framework established by ICANN provides sufficient protection for the vast majority of organizations”.

·         The TMCH is not a RPM, it is simply a database. Rights holders don’t want to pay for further protection through the TMCH. ICANN should instead establish a blocking possibility e.g. based on the number of UDRP’s won & trade mark/DN registrations worldwide. Costs suggested by MIT are too high ($1K-$2K to validate the “High At Risk Mark” plus a one-off reservation fee per mark registered - even higher than the Fairwinds proposal!).

·         The exact match in the trade mark claim service is insufficient - severely diminishes the effectiveness of the list. Cybersquatters hardly ever go for the exact match. The trade mark claim service should cover DNs which include the trade mark.

·         Criteria for HARM status need to be looked at again. The current criteria is for the Mark to be “distinctive and must not match common words” - TM law the world over recognises that dictionary words can acquire distinctive character through extensive use on the market.  In fact, both 'red' and 'cross' are dictionary words, yet paper uses throughout as example of possible HARM. As long as the Mark has been accepted as a plain word (no logo) in jurisdictions that examine on absolute grounds, that should be enough.  Could we suggest that Mark is registered in 50 countries (with spread over 5 ICANN regions)?

·         There should be a loser pays mechanism in both the URS and the UDRP, or at the very least a reimbursement of costs.

·         Should be no limit on the claims notices – not just 60 days after launch but continuous.

Hope this helps

Marie

Marie Pattullo

Senior Brand Protection Manager