[bc-gnso] FW: New ICA Post on the LRO

Andy Abrams abrams at google.com
Tue Aug 6 17:36:44 UTC 2013

Hi Phil,

In the litigation context I'm not sure why cross-dot cases would be any
different from standard trademark cases where having a trademark in the
domain name is not a necessary prerequisite to establishing infringement.
 If a website uses a YouTube banner and copies the website's layout, it's
infringing whether the domain is videos.com or you.tube.

Regarding domain name/cybersquatting disputes, I respectfully don't think
we need a substantive overhaul of the UDRP.  I think it's very possible
that this shift to overall domain consideration could be created by common
law through individual UDRP decisions.  And given the fact-specific nature
of these types of disputes which focus on consumer confusion, I don't think
this is necessarily a bad thing.  I agree with your example that skateboard
attire is probably far enough away from overnight delivery services to
avoid infringement; but if walm.art, you.tube or wal.green are used for
egregious "knock-off" websites, I'm fairly confident that the decision
would go the complainant's way under the current UDRP system.

It's an interesting issue brought on by new gTLDs, and I'll definitely try
to look into this further.

Best,

Andy