[bc-gnso] CEO Roundtable II: The Registries

Benedetta Rossi bc-secretariat at icann.org
Thu Feb 7 15:15:58 UTC 2013

Dear BC Members,

Message from BC Chair:

Fadi explained that his priority is focusing on the contracted party
CEOs. I do want to ask your views on the BC asking Fadi to also work
with the non contracted parties to be inclusive -- at a reasonably
scheduled time frame -- with senior executives from within the CSG's
communities, although at this point, I am not clear what the timing
would be for a roundtable, and we may prefer different models, with Fadi
as a guest speaker at various industry group events, rather than an
exclusive roundtable with only a few senior executives.  It is also very
hard to justify having CEOs from our communities for a special event,
while it is easier to bring Fadi to them, if they are already at an
industry event.

But it seems to me to be important to keep it up front and present that
ICANN is not and should not become a trade association for contracted
parties.  His ideas for gaining buy in for improving compliance and
accepting responsibility for self governance model that ICANN represents
is helpful, but the point made during the Intercessional is that is not
enough, and that the participation from the rest of the stakeholders is
essential as a safeguard and as a rightful participant.

Marilyn Cade, BC Chair

Kind Regards,

Benedetta Rossi
BC Secretariat
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsobc/Home
www.bizconst.org
bc-secretariat at icann.org

http://blog.icann.org/2013/02/ceo-roundtable-ii-the-registries/

CEO Roundtable II: The Registries

by Fadi Chehadé on February 5, 2013

On Monday, I was very pleased to host more than a dozen leaders from the
registry community; participants in our latest CEO Roundtable series
focused on key issues and trends within the Domain Name System sector.

Over the course of a day, we discussed the evolution of the DNS sector
from a number of perspectives and explored the opportunities and risks
that these changes pose. The group provided constructive ideas about
creating a platform for growth, innovation, and greater consumer and
investor awareness. Research analysis, the creation of an infographic
depicting the DNS ecosystem, and mechanisms to educate the media and
public about the DNS sector were also highlighted.

In short, we addressed common goals, shared responsibilities and the
value of raising awareness among consumers worldwide of the DNS sector,
affirming our commitment to the public interest. I also expressed my
hope and vision for a strengthened and streamlined business contracting
framework between ICANN and its contracted parties.

While the topic of the roundtable was not the new gTLD program, I was
asked to clarify recent comments I made at the ICANN Registry and
Registrar meeting in Amsterdam. I took the opportunity to reassure
everyone that:

  * ICANN remains focused on the new gTLD timeline, and I am confident
    that we can do so without comprising ICANN's deep, immovable
    commitment to the stability of the DNS.

  * We do not foresee any delays of the new gTLD program, we are working
    to assure that none occur, and the entire organization is pressing
    forward to comply with deadlines.

  * We have assembled a team of qualified professionals, experienced in
    making complex programs fully operational, and they have my full
    confidence. Staff is working hard and it is important for the
    community to be aware of the intense demands placed upon them by the
    schedule.
  * We will continue to increase the volume of communications pertaining
    to operational details of the new gTLD program, addressing both the
    technical and political risks encountered at various decision points.

  * I will also endeavor to explain, to the extent possible, the
    trade-offs and various considerations being balanced during each
    implementation milestone of the new gTLD program.

I am grateful to the registry leaders for their candid, constructive
feedback and look forward to continued dialogue as we host more CEO
roundtables through the spring. Finally, I have asked past roundtable
participants to consider participating in a DNS Summit meeting to serve
as the culminating event for this series.

Glen de Saint Géry

GNSO Secretariat

gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org <mailto:gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org>

http://gnso.icann.org