[bc-gnso] Closed Generic TLDs: a straw poll of BC member views

Andy Abrams abrams at google.com
Fri Feb 22 17:57:51 UTC 2013

Hi Phil,

We agree with your point.  ICANN rules are permissive, but not a shield
against national laws and regulations.  It will be up to national
authorities to determine compliance on an ex post basis based on actual
conduct for a particular registry.  None of this should involve costs to
ICANN, only the registries at issue.  Competition laws involve many loaded
and nuanced elements (that differ based on jurisdiction), and for ICANN to
try to shoehorn in an overbroad proxy for such protections based on
speculation about future activities as well as an assumption that all
applicants and business models are the same - that would be a mistake, in
my humble opinion.

Best,

Andy