[bc-gnso] DRAFT for review: BC comment on Strawman Solution

Ron Andruff randruff at rnapartners.com
Thu Jan 3 23:45:27 UTC 2013

Thank you Steve and others who worked on this draft.  I have a couple of
comments and questions:

What logic did staff (or those that pushed back on this) provide for
termination of TM claims notices? [TM claims notices should not be
arbitrarily terminated after 90 days]  It is difficult to understand the
logic, i.e. 'yes' we need to provide TM claims notices, but only for an
arbitrary period!  Your argument is quite clear: There is nothing equitable
about a registrant applying for a name in the first 90 days getting a
notice, while another registrant applying on the 91st or 210th day after
launch doesn't get one....  Just doesn't make sense.  We need to make the
demand to leave the notice period in place until independent review
stronger, in my view.

Regarding the arbitrary limit of 50 related names for each Clearinghouse
record I fully agree that the Strawman Solution may need to allow sufficient
related domains to cover all actual instances of past abuse.  Arbitrary
determinations by ICANN serve no one.  Can you provide the logic that was
used to choose 50?  Like the termination after 90-days issue, this just
doesn't make any sense either.  Why not all actual instances of abuse?  Who
is the loser with that policy (there must be one otherwise I cannot
understand why)?

I fully support the way forward on LPR.  A PDP could create the semblance of
a balanced approach for businesses through a lower cost bulk purchase
program.  Defensive registrations cannot be the driver for new gTLDs.  That
is not why this program was instituted to begin with.

Thanks again for the work on this.  And for providing the answers to the
questions posed herein.

Kind regards,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff