[bc-gnso] Nom Comm Meeting Report Card

Phil Lodico phil.lodico at fairwindspartners.com
Mon Jan 28 00:55:16 UTC 2013

The NomComs in which I represented the BC, used a headhunter as well.  The
firm used had been used previously before my joining the NomCom.

Upon joining the NomCom I felt that a headhunter or recruiting firm would
add value to the process, but in my experience on the NC, the headhunter
used was more of an initial interview/screener for applicants that others'
encourage to apply or chose to apply themselves.

Was it the particular headhunter that was used or is ICANN not ready for a
headhunter to succeed (meaning having an offering that relevant and
capable outsiders want to be part of)?  From my involvement, I would say
that it was a bit of both.  The roles are not paid and are very time
intensive.

In the coming year, with new gTLDs and new companies and organizations and
people participating, we may be in a better place to recruit better than
we have in the past.  In terms of short term need for applicants, most of
the brands (likely others too but I don't have that visibility) that
applied are not part of an ICANN group (formal or informal one) and
perhaps if you seek a way to ensure that this new gTLD applicant group of
companies are aware of the opportunities to participate in leadership
positions, you may find some new folks.

In summary, I would suggest that headhunters can be valuable but I would
caution that if the NC were to use one again that the scope be set it a
way that focused more on the identification and applications of
individuals than the administrative review of applicants.

Thanks,
Phil