[bc-gnso] FADI CHEHADE address the CSG including Business Constituency leaders at ICANN HQ in POSTEL A room. Tue 29th January.

Chris Chaplow chris at andaluciaws.com
Tue Jan 29 21:10:12 UTC 2013

FADI CHEHADE address the CSG including Business Constituency leaders at ICANN HQ in POSTEL A room.  Tue 29th January.

Good morning to your  last visit to ICANN HQ as there soon to be three HQ
I spoke last week at Davos and told them about ICAAN.

AT the ITU meeting in Dubai where I was and so was  and  my good friend Marilyn the
ITU chairman asked for a raise of hands and we were within a whisper of  the end of ICANN ....if so I would not be here today,  I   would be with a lot of international lawyers.

There was a remarkable article in the Economist 5 days ago.    I use the business constituency graph.

We have mis handled our meeting arrangements in  Africa.

Profile on DNS industry now does not look good
 Echo  did survey on how the DNS industry is perceived. It  is 4x down
We commissioned a  survey on how analysts see us. Forrester, Gartner or IDC. We found  that non of them follow our sector.  They   leave it to a few fringe people.   If you talk to  people in financial sector they do  not care about our sector and it is not sexy and left to some kids in the basement.

We have a unique opportunity to raise the profile of our sector.
ICANNs  pin hole  or weak point  is that we do not have a structure to balance

I held here a CEO round table on Jan 17,   10 CEO of leading registrars came here for the  first time.  4 feb we meet  registry CEOs.

Bad actors are written about, good actors are not.,  How de we know the difference. We  create a seal for the industry,  a DNS industry conference, a  Registrant bill of rights,

We now have a new internal project management system  with 509 projects went  live last friday.   When it is cleaned up in 3 months time  I will expose it to you.

We do not have a middle management team, we have good people but no management structure. We need to change the  culture, be less defensive and more embracing.
People work harder than any company or start up I have seen. I spend more time telling people to slow down and take a rest rather than work harder.

Finally a comment on Amsterdam. Let me clarify reports of what I said about the TMCH.  I am new to this and ave a lot to learn, what I explained was that what  I thought was an issue, and   it still is an issue.  I  went about to solve it.  I did misunderstand the process. I am with ombudsman this afternoon for two hours  over it.   We have issues and they have to be solved.

In case you are wondering.  I am loving this job, it is the toughest I have ever done. I am staying.

Gartner asked, what is the sector"

I have a good relation with Dr Toure  I had dinner with he and his wife the other evening.     We are   we will have a series of event    MIG WORKS     Multi Internet Governance     First in   middle east on 5th march in Dubia and    second in Africa.  then 4 in Africa, a  caravan show, I will visit all major cities arount the world, hiring a new VP of Asia.

Q. Policy vs Implementation.
Outcome of TMCH activities. frankly there is not clarity on this matter.  We were pointing at an apple and one person said it was an orange and another a peach.   I asked David Steen.   Referring to discussion paper sent out by David Olive.  I think the best and smartest people on the planet to solve this are here.
We do not have mechanisms to get this done,

It was pointed out that the paper was not actually up for public comment. I think we might make this a public comment. Lets make Beijing a serious debate on this.

Q. Challenges in building consensus as the community gets larger?
If we do not figure out how we are going to listen to the new community.
When our engagement programme starts to work.   We are going to see a sea change in the conditions.  A year from today we will meet again and it is going to be a different community.  If this happens  today it will crumble.   I have build many companies. If somebody calls ICANN who do they call?   They call Fadi or the call Chris or Steve and he calls so and so. We will have 0800 ICANN HELP and a CMS ot log the calls.

I made a comment in Amstadam that  I would want to delay the gTLD launch by a year, I wanted to say five years.  They were standing on the tables.  At IBM we said three years  for any project and were always ahead of time.   Do I do this?

Why do I not have a choise?   If we do it properly it will be better for the community.      My 87 year old mother has an ipad in arabic but can not write dot com.

I am putting tools people and processs which was not there three months ago. There was a lot of perople with good will who would take you call.

Consensus. In our home my two boys have left home, so it is easy to reach consensus  at the dinner table.
Consuensus is the rule. One of the reasone I wake up every day after four haous sleep. I beleave we can show the world about consensus. How are we going to govern this. The world is watching us. Country after country.    I spoke to the CEO of Akamai he said Oh my god, this is too important you must come to meet the chair ASAP.

Viviane  Reding and Nellie Crus said in Davos   we  are coming to the painful conclusion that the regualtion can not keep up with the speed of the internet.

The right people to solve this issue are in the room. You all care and are thought full peole.

A round tabel with  cc  in London is set for March 13th.  Invite business and have round table with them on the next day.   Chris Mondini  will be contact.

There are interesting predections of the size of the DNS sector.

We had meeting but not not follow up. Now we have  a system,  people come and go away to the next meeting.

Discuss with Sally. let me explain her world.  Engagement. Where does it come from. Tarik Camel and new person Polomy Sirus  is the industrry contracted parties.  David Olive's new roll is head of engagement for So&AC     Direct all engagement requests via David Olive.

The above are  fast written notes taken by Chris Chaplow for quick publication to BC members of the presentation by ICANN CEO Fadi Chehadé at the CSG  intersesional meeting  at ICANN HQ on 29 January 2013
Please cross check against  transcript for accuracy.

Sent from my iPad