[bc-gnso] NomCom

J. Scott Evans jscottevans at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 1 15:54:56 UTC 2013

Dear  All:

I am sorry that I could not make the call today.  Y! Pride and a husband that has to catch a plane have me committed elsewhere.

However, I do want to chime in on the NomCom issue.  First, I think I have been crystal clear about the absolute need to have a large business representative and a small business representative from the respective groups in order to maintain the credibility of these two separate seats for the BC.  Second, as for geographic diversity, I do not think that we need to manipulate the results of any election to have geographic diversity.  I think it is incumbent upon the elected NomCom reps to remember to reach out to non-North American BC members to ensure that we are serving our entire membership in the appropriate manner.  That point should go for any position for which we designate a BC member to serve.

Lastly, I want to call out Marilyn Cade for behavior that I find totally offensive.  Her repeated attempts to assassinate the character of Sarah Deutsch for her previous service to the BC on the NomCom is totally unfounded and offensive.  I had the honor of serving with Sarah on the NomCom as the IPC representative.  I can, without hesitation, say that Sarah served the BC with honor and fought hard to get good candidates selected to all the positions.  What is truly sad is how hard Sarah fought and how Marilyn, who was then Chair, has failed to acknowledge Sarah's service.  I know some may not appreciate my being so direct on the list, but I think it is time we openly discuss Marilyn's unprofessional behavior on this point.  I respect Marilyn and appreciate all she has done and continues to do for business, but on this issue she is simply wrong.

J. Scott

j. scott evans -  head of global brand, domains & copyright - Yahoo! Inc. - 408.349.1385 - jscottevans at yahoo.com