[bc-gnso] The Technical Impact of New gTLDs: Are We Pushing on Regardless?

stephvg at gmail.com stephvg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 09:29:36 UTC 2013

On a related topic, the IAB has just put out this statement: http://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2013-2/iab-statement-dotless-domains-considered-harmful/

In it, the IAB says things like:

Since the advent of the DNS, Internet naming systems have always relied on the presence of dots in names to distinguish between names that are intended to be interpreted locally, and names that are intended to be looked up on the Internet. Dotless domains lead to ambiguities in their resolution, and therefore unintended and unexpected results when used by proper implementations of IETF standards.

And:

The IAB believes that the current IETF recommendations against the use of dotless domains are important to the continued viability and success of the Internet, and strongly recommends that the Internet community strictly adhere to them.

Best,

Stéphane Van Gelder
Chairman and Managing Director/Fondateur
STEPHANE VAN GELDER CONSULTING

T (FR): +33 (0)6 20 40 55 89
T (UK): +44 (0)7583 457053
Skype: SVANGELDER
www.StephaneVanGelder.com
Follow us on Twitter: @stephvg and "like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DomainConsultant
LinkedIn: fr.linkedin.com/in/domainconsultant/