[bc-gnso] FOR REVIEW BY 8-JUNE: BC comments on Accountability and Transparency Review Team Questions

Chris Chaplow chris at andalucia.com
Fri Jun 7 17:41:44 UTC 2013

Steve,

Thanks for picking this up.  I have tightened up the paragraph on the
attached redline in two ways:

Firstly the ‘contract amendment’ is a following part of the same process.

Secondly I have discovered that the whole RSEP process is actually a 2005
GNSO PDP (link)
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/registry-services/final-rpt-registry-approv
al-10july05>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/registry-services/final-rpt-registry-approva
l-10july05    so I think our recommendation needs to be to ask ATRT2 to a
check implementation against this.

I would like to see a mandatory public comment period,  but as I read the
PDP in Step 4  it is not mandatory If ICANN determines during the 15
calendar day "preliminary determination" period that the proposed registry
service, does not raise significant Security or Stability (as defined
below), or competition issues, registry operator or sponsoring organisation
shall be free to deploy it upon such a determination.

For the BC to ask for mandatory Public comment would be to ask for a new
PDP. Yes?

Perhaps we should leave that to ATRT2 who, I assume, will find that a
complicated 2005 PDP is out of date in a new gTLD world.

Best

Chris Chaplow
Managing Director
Andalucia.com S.L.