[bc-gnso] ICANN Staff Report on Public Comments re: GAC Safeguard Advice

Laura Covington lhc at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Jun 20 15:51:54 UTC 2013

+1

Laura Covington
VP, Intellectual Property Policy
Yahoo! Inc.
lhc at yahoo-inc.com
408.349.5187

From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade at hotmail.com<mailto:marilynscade at hotmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:03 AM
To: Phil Corwin <psc at vlaw-dc.com<mailto:psc at vlaw-dc.com>>, bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso at icann.org<mailto:bc-gnso at icann.org>>
Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] ICANN Staff Report on Public Comments re: GAC Safeguard Advice

As I am monitoring the ITU Council's discussions about issues which impact Internatioinal Internet public policy [translate: more governments governing IP/domain names/AS #s] to replace 'one' government and "the dominant companies from that country", I hope that the BC is following closely and understanding that support to ICANN means that all voices are heard.

I support the importance of the GAC advice, and also the SSAC reports which indicate that there are strong risks and threats that are not yet addressed by ICANN in some of the proposed gTLDs.

In particular, I think that the BC/CSG should prioritize meeting with the SSAC on its various reports of relevance, even if that means that we organize extra-ordinary sessions, at lunch or on the Sat or Sunday.

The BC is clear in our mission that SSR is a primary concern. We are not representing applicants. We are striving to ensure a stable, secure, predictable, and resiliant Internet that supports an online world of both commerce and social engagement and interactions.

While some members 'might' be applicants, they checked the box in their application that they will not in any way advance that perspective in the BC. Respecting that, the BC needs to advance the concerns of user entities, both in the new gTLD program, and in all aspects of our work at ICANN.

Marilyn Cade