[bc-gnso] DRAFT FOR REVIEW: BC comment on New gTLD Registry Agreement

Smith, Bill bill.smith at paypal-inc.com
Wed Mar 20 12:39:58 UTC 2013

Steve,

The response is generally quite good. My only comment is in the area of unilateral change by the ICANN Board. While most businesses would prefer (refuse?) to sign a commercial contract where the other party has universal control of terms, these agreements can be considered as an agreement with the public.

ICANN operates in the public interest. That interest should take precedence over the interest of any, or all contracted parties. If it doesn't, and I argue it hasn't for far to long at ICANN, the public can be and has been poorly served.

Contracted parties are not coerced to sign contracts, the choose to do so. They are equally free to exit an agreement if the terms required by the public prove unacceptable.

I realize this is a significant change from the policies and practices of the past here at ICANN. However, as any organization matures, so should its practices. It's time for ICANN to make a significant shift and recognize that it has an obligation to the public and for those that provide services on support of the DNS to recognize the obligations they have as well.

I look forward to role discussion on this.

Bill