[bc-gnso] DRAFT FOR REVIEW: BC comment on ACDR's proposal to serve as a UDRP provider

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Thu Mar 21 01:56:15 UTC 2013

Attached is a draft comment from the BC regarding ICANN's call for comments on ACDR's proposal to serve as a UDRP provider (link<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/acdr-proposal-01mar13-en.htm>).   The initial comment period ends 22-Mar and reply comments close 13-Apr.  (UDRP is the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy)

Note: ACDR is the Arab Center for Domain Name Dispute Resolution, and is affiliated with BC Member Talal Abu-Ghazaleh.

Phil Corwin volunteered as rapporteur for these comments.

As mentioned on our member call last week, this draft does not propose any changes to previous BC positions.   Instead, the attached comment repeats the BC position expressed twice before:

2011:  BC comments on Preliminary Issue Report on current state of the UDRP (link<http://www.bizconst.org/Positions-Statements/BC_on_UDRP_Issues_Report_July_2011.pdf>)

2010:  Business Constituency comment on recognizing new UDRP providers (link<http://forum.icann.org/lists/acdr-proposal/msg00004.html>)
The 2010 BC position on ACDR’s initial application was that the BC could not support any accreditation of additional UDRP providers until ICANN developed a standard and enforceable mechanism to assure  uniformity in UDRP administration. BC members should note that non-support is distinct from outright opposition.

We are taking comments on this draft until midnight 21-Mar with plan to submit on 22-Mar.  In my view, there is no requirement for formal voting since the BC is not taking any new positions in this draft.

However, if 10% of BC membership objects or proposes changes to the prior positions expressed here, we'll hold a call to consider changing the present BC position.  We have until 13-Apr to debate and develop a new position, if it comes to that.  Keep in mind that any vote to change positions would require a majority vote of BC members.   (per Charter section 7.3)

Vice chair for policy coordination
Business Constituency