[bc-gnso] RE: DRAFT FOR REVIEW: BC comment on ACDR's proposal to serve as a UDRP provider

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 22 22:07:13 UTC 2013

Steve, thanks.
I read the offer of a call to discuss and answer questions from BC members regarding the actual application with great interest. Can we prioritize that so that we are informed before a revised position?  I know that time is short before China, but perhaps this can be a priority?
Also, as Gabi and Mahmoud both suggested a discussion on what the standards should be, shouldn't we include that in our discussion?
I should note that I just traveled to Dubai to the ICANN MIG WORKS - Multistakeholder Works/Arab IGF Consultation and went onto MENA ICT Week. The interest in the region for  .arab in both Arabic and ASCII is high. I understand ICANN also just held meetings in Africa, Latin America, Singapore, S.Korea.
The BC should expect a high interest in LATIM, Africa, and MENA and Asia for IDN registrations.
Having qualified UDRP providers from the regions that are committed to IP rules is a critical part of protecting the Security, stability and reliability of the DNS.
I see this as an opportunity for the BC, and was impressed that both Gabi and Mahmoud welcomed the BC discussion on retroactive standards. Clearly, we cannot do that alone as the BC, but we could be a catalyst.  Could this be a joint activity with the NPOC and IPC, for instance?
But first, of course, we should have our own discussions about what kinds of requirements are needed and can be enforced.
I look forward to joining a call with the applicant to clarify and discuss outstanding issues, and further discussion on this matter.
Marilyn Cade