[bc-gnso] FOR REVIEW: draft BC comment on study of Whois misuse

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Fri Jan 10 20:41:45 UTC 2014

ICANN posted a  Study<http://whois.icann.org/sites/default/files/files/cmu-misuse-study-26nov13-en.pdf> on Whois Misuse.

Back in 2009 the BC prompted this study to learn whether "Public access to WHOIS data leads to a measurable degree of misuse – that is, to actions that cause actual harm, are illegal or illegitimate, or otherwise contrary to the stated legitimate purpose."

We discussed this study on our 5-Dec member call.  Three BC members volunteered to review and draft comments on the study  (Jimson Olufuye, Susan Kawaguchi, John Berard).

As discussed on our 9-Jan call, their proposed comment is brief and should be easy for members to do an expedited review before ICANN's due date of 18-Jan-2014.

So please review the attached and REPLY ALL with your comments or objections before 18-Jan-2014.

Thanks again to Jimson, Susan, and John for stepping-up to this.

Best,
Steve DelBianco
Vice chair for policy coordination