[bc-gnso] Policy calendar for 16-Jan-2014 BC member call

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Wed Jan 15 20:02:42 UTC 2014

Here's a Policy Calendar for Tomorrow's BC call.  (16-Jan-2014)

Channel 1. BC participation in ICANN Public Comment process:
ICANN Public Comment page is <http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment> <http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment> here<https://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment>.   Selected comment opportunities below:

1. Study<http://whois.icann.org/sites/default/files/files/cmu-misuse-study-26nov13-en.pdf> on Whois Misuse  (comments close 18-Jan)
In 2009, the BC prompted this study of whether "Public access to WHOIS data leads to a measurable degree of misuse – that is, to actions that cause actual harm, are illegal or illegitimate, or otherwise contrary to the stated legitimate purpose."

BC members Jimson Olufuye, Susan Kawaguchi, and John Berard drafted a comment that we circulated on 9-Jan.   Yesterday, David Fares suggested that measures to address misuse should not jeopardize access to Whois data, prompting Steve D to add a sentence to the attached draft (1st attachment).

2. Proposed Specification 13 to the Registry Agreement for certain aspects of ".Brand" new gTLDs  (comments close 31-Jan).
The Brand Registry Group proposed a new Spec 13 for .brand registries (link<https://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/spec13-06dec13-en.htm>).   On our last call, Andy Abrams and Stephanie Duchesneau volunteered to draft a BC comment.  They suggest 2 amendments for benefit of business users, regarding affiliates and sunrise periods (2nd attachment).
Let’s discuss on today’s call, keeping in mind that the BC addressed several dot-brand registry issues in pages 9-12 of our 2010 Comments (link<http://www.bizconst.org/Positions-Statements/BC%20on%20Final%20App%20Guidebook.pdf>).

3. ICANN draft for Vision, Mission & Focus for 5-year Strategic Plan       (comments close 31-Jan)
This draft is output of April-September "brainstorming" by board, community and staff. (link<http://www.icann.org/en/about/planning/strategic-engagement/focus-areas-29oct13-en.pdf>)
Tim Chen and Chris Chaplow are drafting comments for the BC, with help from Martin Sutton, Marilyn Cade, and Andrew Mack.
This group will give an update on our call and expects to circulate a draft this week.

4. Status update from expert working group on gTLD Directory Services  (comments close 28-Feb)
The EWG status update is here<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://www.icann.org/en/groups/other/gtld-directory-services/status-update-11nov13-en.pdf&k=ZVNjlDMF0FElm4dQtryO4A%3D%3D%0A&r=cjstkpAuvAi4gqeqX5O18A%3D%3D%0A&m=wJFOU6s054w1azbYfrViPjQwyeWw9OhmeU6Ik0vokA8%3D%0A&s=f6ba989d4315c9c617edc3620ce2274d96f3c98901857bd1683ca7d5b41ae297>, and described on this page (link<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-11nov13-en.htm&k=ZVNjlDMF0FElm4dQtryO4A%3D%3D%0A&r=cjstkpAuvAi4gqeqX5O18A%3D%3D%0A&m=wJFOU6s054w1azbYfrViPjQwyeWw9OhmeU6Ik0vokA8%3D%0A&s=7bb23e2400d21accbd73f650171b8140326ddeaa1284b5550da82021cfb858e4>).  Last week, Jimson Olufuye and Tim Chen volunteered to draft BC comments.   EWG member Susan Kawaguchi is also available for guidance and questions.

Note: BC members are encouraged to submit individual/company comments.  The BC selects topics on which to submit official positions based on member interest.

Channel 2. Support for discussion and votes of our representatives on GNSO Council
John Berard and Gabi Szlak, Councilors.

Next Council meeting is 23-Jan-2014, 18:00 UTC.   See full Agenda<http://gnso.icann.org/en/meetings/agenda-council-23jan14-en.htm>.   Highlights below.

Item 4: motion to approve charter for Metrics and Reporting working group, to address the "need for more uniformity in mechanisms to initiate, track, and analyze policy-violation reports.”

Item 5: discussion of improvements to policy development process

Item 6: Update on work of joint GAC-GNSO consultation group

Item 7: update on upcoming review of the GNSO

Item 8: planning for Singapore meeting

John Berard wrote to Council asking for discussion of Internet Governance:
There has been quite a lot of discussion inside the BC about ongoing initiatives wrapped around the issue of Internet Governance.  Normally, I would not seek to raise such a seemingly parochial matter, but a report from the BC Chair about a recent meeting Fadi had with SO and AC leaders suggests there is reason for us to take up the matter.  According to the report, there is concern that the representation is not international enough; that the volunteer base is too U.S. and/or European.

Channel 3. Supporting discussion/voting on matters before the Commercial Stakeholders Group (CSG)
Marilyn Cade, CSG Liaison

Developments in global internet governance and implications for ICANN and for private sector role.

Channel 4. BC statements and responses during public meetings (outreach events, public forum, etc.)

ICANN plans to delegate Singular and Plural forms of same string, despite GAC advice and community concerns.
The BC sent a letter to ICANN CEO and Board on 22-Oct (link<http://www.bizconst.org/Positions-Statements/Singular-Plural%20TLDs.pdf>).
Steve re-iterated those requests at the Public Forum in BA, asking if the Board shared the BC concerns.  NGPC member Mike Silber replied, "Yes, several of us are very concerned about this."
This topic was on NGPC’s 20-Nov agenda (Report on String Confusion Objection Expert Determinations), , but minutes<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/prelim-report-new-gtld-20nov13-en.htm#2.a> indicate they postponed this item.

On 20-Dec, Steve and Andy Abrams circulated a second draft letter to the New gLTD Program Committee, citing an appeal process the Board recently approved for ccTLD IDN String Confusion. We gave 10 days of review by members, during which 6 members indicated support and none of our members disagreed or objected. Elis submitted the attached letter on 5-Jan-2014. (second attachment)

State of the Net  Conference, Washington DC 28-Jan-2014 (link<http://www.stateofthenet.org/agenda/>)
One panel is called "If the Multistakeholder Model is the Past, Present and Future of Internet Governance, Can Someone Please Define It?"

Steve DelBianco is on a panel with Fadi Chehade:  “Will the Brazilian Reboot Turn the Internet into a BRIC?"

ICANN’s latest plan to manage collisions between new gTLD strings and domains used in private networks. (link<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-new-gtld-annex-1-07oct13-en.pdf>)
To develop the framework for new TLDs, ICANN hired JAS Advisors.  JAS posted initial thoughts on detection & response at DomainIncite (link<http://domainincite.com/15205-dns-namespace-collisions-detection-and-response-guest-post>), where BC members can reply with suggestions.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/bc-gnso/attachments/20140115/7d7bc2b3/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: DRAFT WhoIs Misuse comments[Steve].doc
Type: application/msword
Size: 26624 bytes
Desc: DRAFT WhoIs Misuse comments[Steve].doc
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/bc-gnso/attachments/20140115/7d7bc2b3/DRAFTWhoIsMisusecommentsSteve.doc>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: BCPublicCommentonSpec13[3].docx
Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document
Size: 8368 bytes
Desc: BCPublicCommentonSpec13[3].docx
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/bc-gnso/attachments/20140115/7d7bc2b3/BCPublicCommentonSpec133.docx>

More information about the Bc-gnso mailing list