[bc-gnso] Update on CCWG-Accountability

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Sat Mar 7 23:52:38 UTC 2015

As your CSG Rep on the CCWG-Accountability<https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/CCWG+on+Enhancing+ICANN+Accountability>, here’s an update:

CCWG has 3 work parties: Community Empowerment, Reviews, and Stress Tests.

On community empowerment<https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/WP1+--+Community+Empowerment>, we’re looking at giving the ‘community’ (AC/SO/SG reps) power to veto board budgets, veto board decisions, and veto bylaws changes.

And we drafted bylaws language<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/wp1/attachments/20150304/bc45c956/Draft1-AoCAccountabilityMechanismsStevev5-0001.pdf> to move the 4 reviews required in the Affirmation of Commitments<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/affirmation-of-commitments-2009-09-30-en?routing_type=path> into ICANN Bylaws.  The community would get the role of appointing review team members, of course.

We also drafted changes to ICANN bylaws so the board only has to give 'due deference' to GAC advice when it gives 'Consensus advice’.   GAC is thinking that one over…

On review/redress<https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/WP2+--+Review+and+Redress>, we’re looking to give the ‘community’ (AC/SO/SG reps) standing and access to Reconsideration and Independent Reviews.

Also looking at changes to bylaws/articles that would restrict ICANN to its technical mission.

And we’ve taken 25 Stress Tests<https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/ST-WP+--+Stress+Tests+Work+Party> and applied them to what the CWG and CCWG are presently considering (attached).

We can’t apply stress tests definitively until we have a defined mechanism/structure to test, but we’ve done our best with the proposed mechanisms at this point.

Please note that several stress tests apply to work of the CWG (#1, 2, 21, 19, 20, 25)

Both the CWG-Transition and CCWG-Accountability are having a face-to-face meeting in Istanbul March 22-24.

Questions and suggestions welcome.

Best,
Steve

—