[bc-gnso] FILED: BC comment on recommendations of Geographic Regions Review WG

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Sun Apr 24 15:38:25 UTC 2016

Today the BC filed comment on the final report recommendations of the Geographic Regions Review WG. (see link<http://www.bizconst.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Comment-on-Geo-Regions-Review-WG-recommendation.pdf> and below)

Thanks to Andrew Mack for leading the draft, and to several BC members for contributing edits and suggestions.

--

BC Comments on the Final Report Recommendations of the Geographic Regions Review Working Group
24-Apr-2016

The BC endorses the recommendations of the Geographical Regions report submitted on October 15, 2015.

We strongly agree with the report’s reiteration that diversity — including geographical diversity — is essential to ICANN’s mission and to the success of the multistakeholder model, as is continued emphasis on making ICANN more open to a multilingual audience through translation.

At the same time, we agree with the report that while ICANN’s geographical regions are distinct from those of many major international organizations, changing these regions or adding to the number of regions would be unlikely to enhance ICANN’s mission and could lead to additional cost and confusion.

Lastly, while not directly a part of this report, the BC wants to call attention to the fact that, along with geographic diversity, there are many other kinds of diversity that must factor into the growth and functioning of a vibrant global internet community.  Among them, gender diversity — as referenced in UN Sustainable Development Goal #5 — is an essential building block in the multistakeholder process and a key to reaching women around the world who make up half of the world’s population.

As a practical suggestion, the BC urges that staff to investigate simple ways that all ICANN committees, meetings and work groups can collect data on participation by geographic region and gender, and and make this data available for the broader community.  By knowing the amount of participation from women and different geographic regions in all ICANN activities, we can better pursue our goals of broader stakeholder engagement and diversity.

This comment was drafted by Andrew Mack, with edits from several BC members. It was approved in accord with the BC charter.