[bc-gnso] BC comment on Proposed Policy for Protecting Red Cross Names in all gTLDs

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Fri Dec 14 15:07:16 UTC 2018

Below (and attached) is the comment of ICANN’s Business Constituency (BC), regarding Proposed Consensus Policy on Protections for Certain Red Cross and Red Crescent Names in All Generic Top-Level Domains.

In order to safeguard both public policy and consumer trust in the safety of the DNS, the BC fully supports the proposal that Red Cross names and their variants, as detailed in the agreed finite list within the Final Report, should be reserved in all gTLDs.

In particular we note that these recommendations are based upon international and national humanitarian law, and not upon intellectual property rights.  We also note that the reservation of these names clearly fits within ICANN's mission of ensuring the security of the DNS.

It is important to us that going forward the cooperation achieved between the GAC and GNSO during this policy process, particularly regarding efforts carried out during ICANN 58's facilitated discussion, is repeated in future matters that require such a level of broad involvement from government and non-government actors. Perhaps in this way, future processes can be expedited to better answer the demands of the global community while maintaining the consensus approach.

This Comment was drafted by Marie Pattullo and Mark Datysgeld.

It was approved in accord with our Charter.

Vice Chair for Policy Coordination
ICANN Business Constituency (BC)