[bc-gnso] ICANN Business Constituency (BC) comment on .usTLD registrant data access (Docket 230412-0099)

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Wed May 31 21:02:07 UTC 2023

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE

National Telecommunications and Information Administration  (NTIA)

[Docket Number: 230412–0099]

RIN 0660–XC058

Introduction of Accountable Measures Regarding Access to Personal Information of .us Registrants

The Business Constituency<https://www.icannbc.org/> (BC) is the representative voice of business users of the internet and their customers as their concerns relate to governance of the domain name system (DNS).  Our constituency is chartered by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the multistakeholder body charged with maintaining a secure and stable DNS.

The BC, over time, has carefully considered all aspects of the debate over domain name registration data (or “WHOIS”) policy as it has progressed.  While sensitive to the concerns raised in this proposed policy change for the .US country code top-level domain (ccTLD), the BC in this comment lodges again its position that WHOIS data must be accessible to the broadest extent possible.  In our experience, access to an unencumbered WHOIS database is beneficial to the public interest and helps insulate against a rising tide of DNS abuse.

Our replies to the specific questions posed in the Request for Comment are attached.  Thank you for the opportunity to comment.

Mason Cole

Chair

ICANN Business Constituency

mcole at perkinscoie.com<mailto:mcole at perkinscoie.com>