[bc-gnso] 2024 Contracted Parties Summit Statement

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Sun Jun 9 19:25:39 UTC 2024

BC members – sharing the Contract Parties statement<https://rrsg.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/2024-CP-Summit-Statement.pdf> from the summit in Paris last month (highlights are mine):

2024 Contracted Parties Summit Statement ICANN Contracted Parties (gTLD Registrars and Registries) met in Paris over May 7- 9 for the 2024 Contracted Parties Summit (CP Summit). The Summit provided Contracted Parties an opportunity to engage and address issues of mutual interest and importance.

The CP Summit featured 28 sessions across three full days with over 400 participants. A range of issues were discussed including recent and ongoing geopolitical developments. As a result of these discussions, Contracted Party participants agreed to the following issues of importance and committed to:

● Continuing to support and work through the multistakeholder approach to Internet Governance, specifically within the policy-making context of Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), to maintain and enhance the security, stability, and resiliency of the global Domain Name System (DNS).
● Advancing efforts to better engage and share information with the global Internet community, including regional organizations and national governments as well as the ICANN Governmental Advisory Committee, in an effort to build capacity, understand the respective perspectives and needs of those groups, and work together to advance common goals of improving the security, stability and resiliency of the DNS.
● Continuing registration data related efforts, working within the ICANN multistakeholder process to implement recommendations and explore resources, concerns, and solutions including the accuracy of data.
● Continuing work aimed at combating DNS Abuse, including: ongoing and new voluntary efforts to improve abuse reporting; complying with new contractual requirements; developing metrics to ascertain effectiveness of existing requirements; and engaging with the ICANN Community to understand their perspectives on this important issue.
● Continuing efforts to preserve and protect the privacy rights of registrants. Contracted Parties recognize that the protection of personal data is an essential aspect of security and trust in the DNS.

Contracted Parties look forward to engaging with the broader Internet community in furthering this work in a manner that reflects the community’s needs and preserves a single, interoperable, secure, and resilient Internet.

We offer this statement for consideration by the ICANN Community as well as by governments and other Internet governance related fora and entities.