

**ICANN**

**Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White  
March 29, 2013  
10:00 am CT**

Coordinator: I'd like to remind all participants this conference is being recorded. If you have any objections you may disconnect at this time. You may begin.

Benedetta Rossi: Thank you very much (Kelly). Good morning, good afternoon, good evening this is the BC Members call taking place on 29 March 2013.

On the call today we have Ayesha Hassan, Caroline Greer, Aparna Sridhar, Elisa Cooper, Chris Chaplow, Andrew Mack, and Steve DelBianco.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your names before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you Elisa.

Elisa Cooper: Thanks (Benny). (Benny) would you be able to advance the slides so that we can see the agenda?

So first of all I want to thank everybody for joining today's call and I really want this to be very conversational really hoping that we can share ideas across all of the members.

And the purpose of the call is really to review the survey results, and to talk about the survey results, and to try to get some direction for the business constituency to make this a much more valuable organization in terms of meeting the needs of our members.

And so I have an outline that really kind of maps to the survey results. And I - hopefully you also all have the survey results.

And I'm not sure (Benny) if you're able to upload the survey results in a format that we can see? If you can't that's fine because I know that we all have them.

And also I would just remind folks that there is a link to an Adobe Connect room that (Benny) has set up that was in the meeting invite.

And so I'd like for us to kind of one start off with talking about improvements to communications. Basically your ideas or ways we can improve communication, your thoughts on the level of information that you're getting, or what would be more valuable or what would be more helpful for you to understand basically what the greatest concern to you.

Then I want to talk a little about focus and effectiveness of the BC. You know, some ideas that I had, you know, might be identifying sort of top issues and what we can do to make this organization more useful for business.

You know, there's been some talk also about improvement to accountability, and transparency, and just any other items or ideas that you have for making the BC a better organization and more useful.

Then the third area I wanted us to touch on is charter changes because there's been a lot of discussion about wanting to see some changes to the charter. And I wanted to get feedback from others and identify what those changes might be.

Not they we're, you know, going to be able to make too much headway on that right now but at least get that conversation going and then finally wanted to wrap up talking a little bit about outreach.

So if we can start off talking about improvements to communication. And I just want to throw it out there to get your feedback on what we should do to improve communication?

What would make it easier for you to follow what's going on at ICANN and what's going on with the business constituency? And I just want to throw it out there and hear your ideas.

So I'd love to hear from anyone what you think we should be doing to improve communication within the BC.

Bill Smith: Elisa this is Bill Smith.

Elisa Cooper: Oh hi Bill. If you can - I see that Ayesha just also raised her hand. Would you mind going after Ayesha?

Bill Smith: Yes. I'm fine.

Elisa Cooper: Okay. Ayesha?

Ayesha Hassan: Think you Elisa that it's Ayesha Hassan. I - first of all I thank you very much for putting together this survey and for doing all of the work that you and the Excomm have been doing in this regard.

In terms of improvements to communications I think we've already seen things moving in a good direction and we can build on that.

Keeping the emails very focused very clear with the subject matter focused so that we can follow the train of discussion, continuing that, and building on it would be very helpful.

I think that in general we've seen an upward progression in terms of the types of communications that are going on on the BC lists. And in that I would say let's continue to make sure that that's the way that things are going.

Just one suggestion I think it would be helpful to understand if there are particularly from some of the newer people in the group -- and this might be something that they're not actually newer people are not on the call -- but I think we want to keep listening to what some of the new and fresh voices might have to say because their needs might be a little bit different than some of us who have been in the BC for a long time, something to keep in mind.

Thanks.

Elisa Cooper: Yes. I agree. Anybody coming into one of our calls or trying to understand could easily - I just know from years ago when I, you know, started to kind of gauge it's very confusing. It can be very confusing.

Bill I think you had a comment?

Bill Smith: Yes I agree with Ayesha's comments. I think we are, you know, seeing a sort of constant if not, you know, speedy improvement in things but that's okay constant improvement is good.

I actually think the issue is bigger than the BC though. I think it's really an ICANN issue. Keeping track of the stuff that's going on in ICANN is at best difficult.

And I certainly find myself almost always in react mode. And I, you know, perhaps, you know, on the ICANN site there's better information these days.

But knowing what is happening, where things stand, and being given reminders would be about certain things would be nice.

Also if we could somehow and subscribe to those things that we care about that would be useful to me.

And I don't know if others but ICANN is based, you know, it's just doing - there's too many things going on I think to be able to pay attention to all of them.

And then the things you care about can get lost in the sort of the wash of events that are, you know, happening. So I personally can get behind in the email by, you know, several days...

Elisa Cooper: Oh yes.

Bill Smith: ...and, you know, then that's - that becomes a problem because then I, you know, try to figure things out.

So if there was some way to subscribe to topics of interest that might be beneficial or something that we could talk about. But I think it's a bigger issue for ICANN really. And that something we might want to raise with them.

Elisa Cooper: Does anybody have an interest in utilizing some sort of social media platform like a closed group somewhere is that of interest anyone?

Steve DelBianco: I...

Woman: (Unintelligible).

Steve DelBianco: ...might mention that, you know, the MyICANN really does address Bill's concern about single topic items of interest.

I don't know whether ICANN will make it available to the BC for us to use ourselves. But Bill do you use MyICANN right now where you specifically pick topics and a frequency of update?

Bill Smith: No I don't use it.

Steve DelBianco: Give it a try. See if it starts to scratch that itch because maybe that's a tool in the tool kit we'll be allowed to use as well. Thank you.

Bill Smith: Yes, no Steve that's a great idea. I'll - I will look into it. I'm - I have been so turned off by ICANN's Web site I rarely go to it but I'll try that.

(Marilyn): And Elisa if I might it's (Marilyn).

Elisa Cooper: Yes (Marilyn).

(Marilyn): I wonder if we might ask members to give us some feedback about MyICANN. My own experience is it needs refinement. But - and the discussion I had with the ICANN staff they were very eager to hear about improvements.

And maybe we could ask members who use it to give some feedback for the Secretariat. And then consider whether it would be to Steve's point a specialized platform for us?

Elisa Cooper: Okay. Let's see Andrew I see you have had your hand up. Thank you for waiting patiently.

Andrew Mack: Not at all. I'm one of those new people although I mean not new to the group I'm new as a member full-fledged member. I guess one of the - a couple things jump into my mind.

Number one is that that it is a lot of data. I agree with two speakers ago who was talking about it. And it's a lot - it's hard because a lot of us have multiple hats that we wear in ICANN world.

And I'm still trying to keep up with some of the stuff that's happened with the old JAS group and all of it. And there's just such an awful lot to do.

I like very much the idea that you - that we keep emails really clearly labeled in terms of their subject matter so that you can kind of follow them and so the things that really aren't effect you, you know, you don't have to worry about.

Some of it also would have helped me a little bit as a newer person to get a little bit maybe a little bit of the context -- and I'm not quite sure whether

that's fair to ask the group -- but perhaps there are clearly some things that in conversation in discussion for a long time that I'm unaware of the details of.

And I don't know how one comes up to speed relatively quickly but I'm guessing that there are others in my situation.

Elisa Cooper: So maybe like a new member orientation?

Andrew Mack: Perhaps yes. Perhaps I mean I think something along those lines like, you know, even if it's just in the way that we're talking about some of the things the how it all fits together is often a challenge of ICANN right?

And the kind of the overlapping (unintelligible) it's sometimes hard for me to know - to understand on the face of it why a particular group feels very, very strongly about an issue that I'm, you know, I'm just unfamiliar with.

And so if we feel very strongly about something like that it would be nice to get back the background on it.

And I mean my guess is a lot of new people don't contribute because it is fairly daunting. And it's hard to know what's the important stuff to get in on.

I'll have to take a look at MyICANN. I haven't it really ever played around with it. But it's a great idea. Thanks.

Elisa Cooper: I personally and just my 2 cents. I personally use MyICANN. The problem is I'm interested in everything. So I find I'm just is inundated with information as I've always been. But...



Andrew Mack: So if you have a good system for managing it because, you know, we play a couple of different roles and have to follow different things so I totally get where you're coming from. And I just, you know, right now I'm just overwhelmed with the data.

Elisa Cooper: Yes, no I am too. And I appreciate all the feedback and that's some very good suggestions you have there. Just to - I see that maybe we have a couple of additional members on the call.

We're just on item number one talking about improvements to communication. And just a recap, you know, we were talking about the importance of keeping emails focused and clear.

Making sure that we're always very clear on the subject matter line on the subject line of the email I think will help to improve make it easier for people to understand what it is we're talking about possibly having some kind of new member orientation or some materials to members to help explain some of our standing positions and why we feel the way we feel.

And we also talked about the need for maybe being able to have some additional possibly email lists or ways to remember to track specific issues that are of interest to them.

Any other things you want to talk about in terms of possible improvements to communications? I know that one thing that I had asked in the survey was whether receiving email about events as they occurred was what you preferred or whether you would rather receive information on a weekly basis?

And people were almost split right down the middle that about half of you wanted to receive the information straightaway and half of you said you wanted to receive it in a weekly digest of some sort.

And I'd be interested to hear some additional thoughts if anybody has on that particular topic because sometimes like, you know, ICANN especially around meeting they'll release, you know, five things in a single day.

So that means five emails. And so I just wanted to get some feedback on that from members if you have any?

Jim Baskin: This is Jim Baskin. I think that that can be accomplished automatically if we have the right email list software where you can have the system automatically provide just daily summaries for those who want them instead of on an item by item basis or maybe even weekly summaries. We wouldn't have to choose one way or the other.

Elisa Cooper: You mean by using the MyICANN option?

Jim Baskin: Well I'm not sure what software or what system it would be that we'd use but it's a pretty standard feature of most email mailing list software that has a...

Elisa Cooper: Oh I'm sorry from the mailing list itself.

Jim Baskin: Yes.

Elisa Cooper: Okay. Yes okay yes that's something we can look into. I - (Benny) probably knows more about the mail list options...

Jim Baskin: Yes. And it just seems to me that some people probably have a enough interest that they want to know about stuff the moment it happens.

If there are other people that really only want to know on a weekly basis then, you know, we should find a way that they get things on a weekly basis but not reduce everybody else's input that wants it more immediately.

Elisa Cooper: Okay. Yes it's a great idea. We'll have to investigate that. Any other thoughts on communication before we move on to sort of focus on effectiveness?

Caroline Greer: Elisa it's Caroline. May I add something?

Elisa Cooper: All of course.

Caroline Greer: You mentioned social media there a few minutes ago.

Elisa Cooper: Oh yes.

Caroline Greer: And I'm not sure if you were going anywhere with that or you had some ideas yourself but I was just wondering we don't have a Twitter account for the BC? Is that right?

Elisa Cooper: No. Not that I'm aware of.

Caroline Greer: I mean I know some of the stakeholder groups or registrar group for example - and has a Twitter account.

And I mean this would be less about internal communications but more sort of, you know, communicating externally maybe, you know, as simple is posting a tweet when you we have new position paper or something like that.

But it might sort of get some traction, you know, getting some new members. The thought implies extra work I appreciate that but it might be something to consider.

Elisa Cooper: Okay. Yes definitely. I know a lot of people utilize Twitter for informational updates and yes.

Yes going back to that social media thought what about setting up sort of private groups. Does anybody have any interest in that, or, you know, to enable sort of discussion greater - in greater detail as opposed to just going back and forth on the email list?

Okay. It doesn't sound like there's ton of...

Ayesha Hassan: Well Elisa this is Ayesha. Maybe just one point for us to consider I think it's an idea to keep in mind where there are issues that would benefit from something between the email list and a teleconference call to flush out issues.

It may be also something to keep in mind that we - people may already feel so overloaded with the many things they need to following and contribute to to have their perspective heard...

Elisa Cooper: Right.

Ayesha Hassan: ...in our discussions that we'd want to make sure that we're balancing the use of it in an effective manner.

Elisa Cooper: Yes totally understood. Chris I see you have your hand up.

Chris Chaplow: Yes. Thanks Elisa. I just wanted to mention we did at one time have an (NING) site for the BC. I know it's sort of heading towards a social media. And it was a very successful. So we did have to abandon that one. So we bear that in mind.

Actually I quite like the Twitter idea. If there's a member that wants to volunteer for that one we might consider it. I took a quick look at the mail the ICANN mail list software.

I couldn't see sort of subscribe or sections but perhaps (Benny) can look at it more detailed at that one. Yes so those are just a couple of quick comments. Thanks.

Elisa Cooper: Thank you very much. That's helpful. Why do we move on to focus and effectiveness. So one idea that I had heard from some members is trying to pick issues that we can really focus on as opposed to we sometimes I think get drawn into issues which are less important than others.

And I wanted to hear whether, you know, picking a handful of issues that we really focus on and get very proactive about is something that members would want to do and what those issues are? So I'll just put it out to the group.

I don't know Chris is your hand up from last time or...

Chris Chaplow: Sorry. It's up from last time yes.

Elisa Cooper: So I would love to hear from anyone whether you think we should just continue on the route we're going where we just sort of react to things as they come up and we just try to manage our time that way or if there are, you

know, a handful of items or three or four items that we want to sort of stake out as being key issues for us at least for right now?

Ayesha Hassan: Elisa this is Ayesha.

Elisa Cooper: Hi.

Ayesha Hassan: Yes.

Elisa Cooper: Thanks for...

Ayesha Hassan: Well I'm just - I was looking at the full survey and the types of issues that people had identified. And I think that that pretty much aligned with the kinds of issues that we've been taking up.

Maybe what I'm also hearing though is that in addition to being responsive to the things that are coming out in ICANN if we keep in mind that there may be issues that - may be just consistently on our calls and on our email exchanges keeping in mind that members can be bringing up issues that are not being addressed in our more reactive work and encouraging that to happen so that we are aware if there are some other issue that should be being dealt with.

Elisa Cooper: Yes so one that comes to mind for me that it's not really been in my opinion a topic that ICANN has taken up and it's been registry security.

I think, you know, at least for MarkMonitor clients that's a real issue especially with the ccTLDs and I realized ICANN doesn't have oversight over them.

But I do think that it is something that the business is very concerned with in general when a ccTLD or when any registry has a security breach.

So, you know, that's the kind of thing I was thinking about but maybe we want to start taking up more of a focus at least keeping our members informed along with, you know, sort of Whois issues, you know, the whole topic of gTLDs in general.

So I was just curious to see if others had ideas. And Chris?

Chris Chaplow: Chris...

(Marilyn): And if I can get in the queue please? This is (Marilyn).

Chris Chaplow: Thanks. Yes I would concur with that. And also add I won't go into details now but the registry services requests like oversight and that's also an area that I think it's interesting to BC members if they knew what was going on but thanks.

Elisa Cooper: Chris can you give a little more information on that?

Chris Chaplow: Registry services request there's a page very deep in the ICANN Web site where the registries put in a request for some change in their premises in which they work.

The requests often go to public comment. They go to the board and are eventually approved. So I can't remember a recent one .cat Whois or something like that.

Then they seem to get forgotten. So if you go back and look at these changes -  
- and actually one that I was involved in was the (Afilias.info) reallocation  
after sunrise -- then the - nobody is from ICANN it's almost like - it's not  
really a compliance but nobody from ICANN is really overseeing and  
watching what's going on and how the registries are implementing what was  
there approved request.

Elisa Cooper: Yes.

Chris Chaplow: You know...

Elisa Cooper: That I can...

Chris Chaplow: I could talk for an hour on it but it's just that - it's just an area that should be  
of concern to us and our members I think.

Elisa Cooper: Yes. I totally agree. And that is a great point. And something I personally  
think we could do a better job of following. Thank you for that Chris.

I see (Sarah) has her hand up but (Marilyn) I think I had heard you wanting to  
make a comment?

(Marilyn): I did but it's very quick. I think I saw in the survey some support for the SSR  
issue. And I do think that Security Stability Resiliency issue sweeps some of  
these concerns including the one Chris just mentioned in as well as registry  
stability and registry (unintelligible).

And I do think those are of really significant concern to business users. But I  
don't know if they could fit under that broader category that might be a way to  
track them.



Elisa Cooper: Okay great. Thank you. (Sarah)?

(Sarah): Yes I was just going to say they we're going in no kind of intuitively when certain big issues come up the effect the BC as a whole.

So the information John Berard just sent around earlier about VeriSign's letter with...

Elisa Cooper: Yes.

Sarah Deutsch: ...the long list of security concerns is one.

And another big project I just wanted to highlight that I think would be excellent for the BC is that once the new gTLDs are rolled out, you know, we're going to be directly affected as are our consumers.

And so I think we should spend some time sharing information documenting unintended consequences, frauds, abuse's whatever we see happening.

And so I think that's going to be, you know, maybe a working group of the BC can be devoted to trying to document some of that.

Elisa Cooper: Yes. That's an excellent idea. Ayesha?

Ayesha Hassan: Thank you Elisa. I support the inputs from all the three of the speakers who have just come in. And then I just wanted to say that in addition I think with the second ATRT getting underway it's important for us to keep our eye on that and make sure that we are watching the evolution issues organizational

evolution issues at ICANN as well as I know that those issues are important for broader business as well. Thanks.

Elisa Cooper: So one thing that's kind of think you Ayesha. One thing that's kind of come up time and again but we've not implemented is sort of this notion having smaller working groups that, you know, where a number of people who all have an interest in, you know, focused on ATRT, or focusing on new gTLD registry launches.

And I would like to hear from others what your thoughts are on having these kind of smaller working groups that can go off and meet and then possibly report back to the larger group? Any thoughts on that?

Is that something that people are interested in or not interested in? And maybe you can just even use the chat to respond to that.

(Marilyn): Elisa it's (Marilyn). We had talked about that before. I think now might be a time to try it if members are willing to do it particularly, you know, (Sarah) just brought up something that some members may have particular expertise in but it might be a time to try it.

Elisa Cooper: Okay. I think - I mean I have heard it from a number of members. And I think it's something worth trying because I have heard it.

And so, you know, maybe we can think about that and if members have ideas for working groups that you'd like to head up let me know and we can move forward in that direction.

It might be a good way for people to focus on areas that are just of interest to them who already have expertise and they can share that expertise with a larger group.

I kind of want to just open it up for other ideas just other things in general that you think could make the BC more useful for business?

Any ideas at all for recommendations, for, you know, improving what it is we do anything at all. Things you think we should do to improve accountability and transparency?

In the survey there seemed like there were some concerns about, you know, some of our members and exactly who they were representing.

There seemed to be some concerns about what was going on within the Excom. So hearing about what your ideas are for improving accountability and transparency or just any other improvements?

Let me just open that up for discussion any ideas at all for sort of improving the overall effectiveness of the group? Chris?

Chris Chaplow: Yes. Just building on what (Sarah) was saying it might be an idea to open up a section on the Web site to just sort of document repository. So any members that have got documents that, you know, that we can put them in it comes back a little library. Thanks.

Elisa Cooper: That's a great idea. (Sarah)?

Sarah Deutsch: Well I personally would like to see some greater transparency in how the decisions are made in the Excom and then communicated to the membership?

So there should, you know, basically I think that the Excom shouldn't be kind of a separate place where, you know, members don't have the view into what's happening.

You know, and at least when I was on the Excom there was just as much communication or more going on on that list is on the big list.

And I don't think that, you know, all of that necessarily flowed over to the big membership. On one hand we don't want to flood people but on - and I hear this same issue arising in the IPC.

But I think members need to feel that they know how decisions are getting made. That there be transparency.

And that, you know, basically that be a place where the organization is run with a very light hand but the default should be deferring to the membership on important issues.

Elisa Cooper: Yes I, you know, I don't know if there's anything in the charter and probably Steve, or (Marilyn) or Chris can speak to this.

But from my personal opinion I don't see any issue with making that information available widely. But I don't know if there's anything in the charter any reason why we couldn't do that because there is I can tell you there is a tremendous amount of communication that goes back and forth.

You know, hopefully if people are not interested if they can just set up a rule in their email to, you know, have that information go to a separate folder so they're not flooded with a lot of sort of tactical things that are going on.

I don't see like any issue or problem with doing that. And I don't know if there's any reason why we can't do that. And I guess I would ask Chris, or Steve or (Marilyn) if there's any reason why we can't do that?

Marilyn Cade: Actually I think proposed that we have an archive for the Excom. Wouldn't that fulfill what the request is?

Elisa Cooper: Yes. I mean if we're going to have an archive if people would prefer to just see it real-time. I know like with the archive it sometimes, you know, a little cumbersome to go back and check it out and try to follow everything but I don't have any issue with that at all.

Steve or Chris any...

Chris Chaplow: Chris here. There is a lot of traffic on the Excom list. Some of it is ideas and thoughts which in some cases I don't feel like disturbing the whole membership.

When we look a question one we do see the results if we look at that I can't remember exactly know but it was (unintelligible) saying about the right amount and others were saying too much on the list.

And very few or nobody was saying that enough. So I'm reluctant to move some of that traffic across onto the main list. I don't think there's anything in the charter.

The Excom archive could be opened by password to people so it doesn't have to go out in their mailing list but they can see what's on it.

I personally tend to favor something where it's the archive is almost available one month or two months afterwards because I can see times when things are getting discussed.

And it's just a temporary idea that's thrown around and it doesn't become anything. And it could set off chains of discussions when it isn't necessary the case that's just a view of mine. Thanks.

(Marilyn): It's (Marilyn). Maybe I'll just say one other thing about the Excom. The Excom doesn't take positions about policy. So maybe we need to assess how much noise about administrative planning the members can tolerate.

I don't have an answer on that. I'm just, you know, I think we try to keep the Excom conversation about administrative stuff mostly.

Elisa Cooper: Certainly I think at a minimum we should look at archiving the information and making it available for the sake of accountability and transparency but I have no issue with making this information available.

And we'll look and see what the best possible way to do that is without being too disruptive. Aparna I see you have your hand up.

Aparna Sridhar: Yes. I was going to go back to a point that you raised about transparency earlier.

Elisa Cooper: Yes.

Aparna Sridhar: I think partly this is because I'm a little bit new to the business constituency. But for me sometimes it's a little bit hard to follow who represents which interest specifically.

So I mean I guess if Google is a bad example because most of you know who we are, and also what we do, and what our interests are in the Internet space.

But - and in the ICANN space. But for other folks it's not quite as apparent and just some additional discussion of oh I'm a consultant, I have these kinds of clients, and, you know, that's kind of my perspective on where I'm coming from would be helpful.

Elisa Cooper: Okay. Yes so that is a point well taken. I agree. And maybe we can do - we can ask people to announce their affiliation when they are speaking on the calls. And, you know, one sentence about who that company is I think that would be helpful.

And as I expect that we'll be adding some other new members here in the short term and hopefully in the longer term as well.

So I think we have to take into consideration that members don't know everyone and need to - need some assistance in becoming familiar with who everyone else is.

Other thoughts about ways for improving the effectiveness of the business constituency?

We've talked about adding some particular topics like the registry services request, and registry security, and a group of perhaps a working group on new gTLD registry launches, maybe a group around ATRT a working type group, we've talked about document repository, the need for greater transparency possibly setting up an archive for the Excom distribution list.

And I know (Benny) is also taking notes as well and we'll have a recording if I've missed anything but anything else anybody has ideas on for improving the overall effectiveness?

Bill Smith: Elisa this is Bill Smith.

Elisa Cooper: Yes.

Bill Smith: To follow up to Aparna's comment. I think it's a good idea to know, you know, for us to know sort of who we are dealing with.

And that become somewhat difficult I think with consultants and attorneys. But we also have to be - I think we have to be cognizant of, you know, the ability to maintain client confidentiality, et cetera.

Would - and I also think it's every time we're on a phone call you have to announce who you are and what you are - sort of what your representation interests are that could be problematic.

Would we consider doing something like a Web site where each member put in a one sentence or one paragraph thing that says here we - this is us? Here's what we do. And then people can reference that at any time during a call or any other time.

And I raise this because I hear frequently on - or have heard not so much recently but calls for well you have a conflict of interest on such and such an issue.

My read of the ICANN conflict of interest policy is that it is only - that the only conflict really are those involving financial obligations at the board level.



And the financial conflict there where decisions are being made. And then that filters down into the different constituencies.

And that would only apply to the executive committee in my opinion. That only the executive committee members could have conflicts of interests not participants because we all are conflicted. We all have interests.

Elisa Cooper: Right.

Bill Smith: And otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Elisa Cooper: Yes right.

Bill Smith: So what we - in my opinion what we really need to be sure of when we're discussing things at the BC by members is that we all are generally aware of who we are talking to, and have a rough idea -- not necessarily specifically we don't want trade secret or anything like that -- but we have a rough idea who we're talking to and why they are advocating a position okay?

I don't want to know the clients or customers necessarily of people. I would kind of like to know, you know, what they're advocating for and perhaps why.

But in the most general terms -- and I think that much of this becomes obvious through the course of discussion -- but to Aparna's point I think you don't know necessarily right up front when you hear a name.

Elisa Cooper: Right.

Bill Smith: It's difficult to tell especially as the BC gets bigger. But I for one would like us to on a going forward basis have fewer issues raised about conflicts of interest. I think we all are conflicted.

Elisa Cooper: Yes, no I agree.

(John): Hi Elisa. This is (John).

Elisa Cooper: Yes.

John Berard: You know, the mechanism for doing that already exists. I mean ICANN has the Statement of Interest methodology that it uses.

I know that - so for example (Zahid) and I have statements of interest on the GNSO council Web site.

I don't see any reason why we couldn't adopt the Statement of Interest for the BC and port it direct to our Web site or even within the context of the ICANN confluence which are all tools that are available to us.

And, you know, we could ask members to keep a current Statement of Interest so that we don't have to slow down conversation that we have but that everybody has the access to everybody else's background.

Elisa Cooper: That's a great idea. I would mention that we do - there is a document it is a bit outdated it's a meet the BC document.

And it's got a little bio on who all the members are. And I know that we need to do some updating to the document.

But I think (John) that's a great idea about a brief Statement of Interest from everyone. And also Bill I understand your point.

Yes we don't want to spend, you know, an extra ten minutes on the call having people describe like who they represent and who their company is.

But at least for people to say, you know, I worked for - whatever I work for MarkMonitor which is, you know, a brand protection company, or, you know, or if you are working for let's say say Bell, or Google I think then people will know who you're representing.

But all those points...

John Berard: But, you know, interestingly enough I mean that - I wouldn't want to promote this as a cure all for this. I mean we are aware of the historical instances where it seems as if people were advocating for things that didn't seem material but then perhaps they took a new job it did seem material.

Elisa Cooper: Yes right.

John Berard: So, you know, we're not - it's not going to be a cure all but it could be a helpful step forward to respond to the concern that Bill and others have expressed.

Elisa Cooper: Yes. I think I saw in the survey the concern is oftentimes about, you know, consultants exactly sort of who they're representing what kinds of companies they're representing.

Marilyn Cade: And Elisa I'd like to get in the queue on this topic. It's (Marilyn).

Elisa Cooper: Yes. And actually I want to go to (Gabby) because she's been patiently waiting and I've seen her hand up so (Gabby) I'm sorry. Go ahead.

Gabriela Szlak: No that's great. Thank you. I agree with everything that has been said. And I wanted to talk also about a more plain or basic material that we can maybe use for new members in general.

I would like to have like some kind of tool that would be like a 15 or ten minutes Webinar that I can send to potential BC new members.

And that they will understand what does it mean to be a part of the BC? And how many times a week they will have to - how many hours a month they will dedicate to this? And what are the options of - well your benefits of being a member everything that we have put in different kinds of documents that are available but in a specific Webinar for us to be able to send to potential new participants.

And that would be really useful particularly for my region. And I would be able maybe to translate that into Spanish.

And to have documented that everybody will have consensus and not me saying what the BC is in Spanish but me saying something that everyone really agrees with it.

And like for instance when they come for the first time to a call that they will feel more comfortable and they will understand more where they are joining, who they are joining, and what it's all about because it took me a lot of time for instance as a person (unintelligible).

It took me a lot of time to really understand how to join? What to do? When to talk? What was important for me and what - well it took me a lot of time and effort.

So I think it's going to be better if we do some kind of welcome document for new members. And I'm not sure if this makes any sense to others. Thank you.

Elisa Cooper: Yes. It makes a lot of sense. I totally agree with you. I think it's a great idea. And I found myself in need of having a similar document as well to help people potential new members understand, you know, why they should join.

And also to help them understand the role we play and actually how ICANN works in all of that. So I do think there is a need and I appreciate your comments.

Gabriela Szlak: Thank you.

Elisa Cooper: (Marilyn) I do want to get to those charter changes. So if you have a comment if you can go ahead.

Marilyn Cade: I - it's going to be quick. I think that (John)'s idea is excellent. But I do just want to note that consulting companies that provide consulting services today are perhaps not that different from some of the larger companies who are members of the BC who may also have different interests.

So I think declaring interest overall (John)'s suggestion sounds to me like an excellent one. It doesn't single out any particular entity but it allows everyone to disclose what their interests are.

And it's it should be I think on the BC wiki site. But I leave that to you and (Benny) to talk about. But then all members could go quickly and say oh and if we all agreed informally to keep it current it's kind of a gentleman's or a gentle woman's agreement? Sorry for that. That might be a great idea.

Elisa Cooper: Thanks (Marilyn). I know we won't probably get to our very last item which is on outreach but basically everyone sort of supported there was one person who did not support doing a Webinar.

And I will - after we get past Beijing I would like us to consider doing Outreach via Webinar. And if other people have ideas for Outreach let's take those on the list because I want to spend the last portion of this call talking about charter changes.

This is something that has come up repeatedly. And there seem to be two areas in particular where people were looking for charter changes.

One was around term limits and one was around appointments and appointments in particular related to things like the nominating committee. So I'd like to open this up for discussion around charter changes.

And I see - and (Gabby) is your hand still up from the last time?

Gabriela Szlak: No, no sorry. That's the old one.

Elisa Cooper: Okay. Sorry. Andrew in...

Andrew Mack: Yes Elisa I was actually going to kind of going to respond to or kind of ask a question about the, you know, about the representation thing. But if we want to talk about that another time I'm happy to drop out.

Elisa Cooper: If you have a quick comment go ahead.

Andrew Mack: Just my quick comment is that as someone who is new and runs a consulting firm I think we made - we've got to be careful to make sure that perfect is not the enemy of the good in the sense that it is a bit of a shifting agenda a lot of the time.

Sometimes a client that you have may have a strong feeling about it. Sometimes it may be, you know, I'm in the BC and I don't have a client that has a particular thing that there - that I - that we're looking at.

I'm just - I'm wondering if there are going to be times when you're not representing someone or many times when you may not be and just your you're just trying to play your role as part of the business community.

And I don't know how we get to that but I would hope that whatever system we put together doesn't overly impute interest on behalf of some of your clients who may or may not be interested in a particular topic. Does that make sense?

Elisa Cooper: Yes, no I think we're just looking to help new members especially understand who the other members are at a...

Andrew Mack: Cool. Okay. Thanks. (Unintelligible) to delay.

Elisa Cooper: Oh no, no, no worries. (Sarah)?

Sarah Deutsch: Yes. So I - on the charter changes I helped draft that charter for the BC originally. And I've also looked at how the charter compares to others in

ICANN. And we look like we're the only constituency that's had basically no kind of term limits.

And I think that that's not good for the BC. It's helpful to grow new leadership and to encourage people to take on new roles.

So, you know, IPC for example has a four year term. People, you know, they often switch roles. But at least there - there's constant movement. And I think that's good. So I would support that kind of change on term limits.

And on - appointments I think it's critical for the nominating committee for other key roles in ICANN that if there are more than two people who want to serve that that have an election rather than an appointment.

I think that's important for transparency. And I think it's a decision that should be made by the full membership.

You know, we had asked after the noncom incident to have the executive committee say whether they had a conflict of interest and whether they could attest that they're not going to seek a board seat.

So it raises all sorts of questions that don't get raised if you have an election so that - those two are critical to me.

Elisa Cooper: Yes. I think those are both issues that I've heard from others as well as being things that they would like to have addressed.

And I need to understand for myself for my own edification how we go about implementing the changes but those are definitely two that are on the table



that we want to put forward to the members and I think basically pursue changes on.

Now there is one thing that I'm sure (Marilyn) I think she may have sent out - well she certainly sent out an email to the Excom and I don't know if it went out to the full membership.

But when we make these charter changes they go - my understanding is they go out for public comment and...

Marilyn Cade: Right.

Elisa Cooper: ...they put the entire - and this is in no way to say that we shouldn't make the changes because that's not what I'm saying at all.

I briefly want to make (Marilyn)'s point or (Marilyn) - so let me just make it briefly that the whole charter will go out for public comment.

Marilyn Cade: Right Elisa if I might is it okay if I...

Elisa Cooper: Yes go ahead.

Marilyn Cade: ...speak now about? Thank you. Of course the BC should consider charter changes that are important and should advance those.

And I fully support that. But I just thought it was important that everybody understand that the board has revised the process.

And now all to Elisa's point all charter changes will be posted for public comment. All charter changes -- that means everything in the charter not just

the changes but everything in the charter -- will be open to public comment.  
And then the board will have to approve.

That may not be a problem to us. I'm not suggesting it is. But I just think it's important for us to know. And let me say why.

The BC is quite unique. We have two seats on the nominating committee which is very, very unique. No one else does, certain other parties object to that.

So we may want to think about our charter changes, how they make sense, and make sure we can deal with any public comments. Thanks Elisa.

Elisa Cooper: Yes I mean one possible option is that we make a decision to just not for instance for the nominating committee that we no longer do that by executive committee decision that that just isn't - that would just do that by a vote. And that's what we're going to do from now on.

But I do think the term limits is something that we very much, you know, we don't have a way to aside from a change to the charter to get that changed.

(Sarah) do you have any - I see your hand up so wasn't sure if that was from before?

Sarah Deutsch: No. I just wanted to add that I don't think we should be afraid to make good changes because the community will comment on them.

I think the term limits is still important and, you know, the fact that we have two noncom seats one for a large and one for small business, you know, if you

have an election that's based on those factors that makes a lot more sense than appointment where, you know, that those two seats also are at risk so...

Elisa Cooper: Yes. Chris?

Chris Chaplow: Thanks Elisa. I cut and paste a whole series of charter clauses that really where I've had experience and there are lots of little things to do with the eligibility, the billing, what is the date that a member joins, the terms of the finance committee and certain things finance committee charged with assisting member retention which isn't something that's really practical.

So rather than - we haven't really got time to go through all of these now but I can send them to the private list I suppose so that members can see them.

And we can pick them up whenever we do change the charter because of there are number of little practical things that we should try and get better when we do the change. Thanks.

Elisa Cooper: Oh that would be great. I'm sure we'll want to incorporate all it would be best to be able to incorporate all of the changes at one time.

Any other ideas or thoughts about other things we want to consider changing in the charter. It doesn't look like there are any others so we are actually at the top of the hour and I hope I - well first of all let me thank you all for your input.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to complete the survey and for joining today's call and for your feedback.

And we've got a lot of very good feedback. And there are definitely a lot of good ideas here and things that I think we should really pursue further.

And when we are in Beijing I'm hopeful that we can continue some of these discussions and, you know, definitely pursue discussions about how we move forward with the charter changes.

Does anybody have anything else that they would like to add before we close the call?

Well I know that (Benny) has been on the call and as - I would like to get some feedback on this. (Benny) has been spending a fair amount of time preparing meeting minutes after the calls which is something new.

And, you know, she will do that for this call as well. Any feedback on those meeting minutes whether or not they're useful to you?

If you can even respond in the chat that would be helpful to me to get some feedback on that because it is a fair amount of work and if nobody is getting value out of it I don't want to continue doing that?

Marilyn Cade: Elisa.

Elisa Cooper: Yes.

Marilyn Cade: I was thinking about a round of applause.

Elisa Cooper: Yes, no I find them to be extremely useful and they're very helpful. And I would just like to confirm that others are seeing the value.

So if you want to use the chat or send an email to the BC private list just to let me know on that. With that I would like to thank everyone for joining.

If anybody has anything else to share or say please do send on the list. And I'm really looking forward to seeing everybody that will be attending the meeting in Beijing next week.

And for those of you attending remotely we'll look forward to following up with you again. Alright thanks so much everyone. Bye-bye.

END