[bylaws-coord] A term that seems to need definition

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Apr 7 04:20:24 UTC 2016

Hi,

As I mentioned in another mail, my colleagues on the IAB's IANA
evolution program and I have been trying to go through the bylaws
text.

We've noticed that Section 4.3.j.ii says, "ICANN shall, in
consultation with the global Internet community,…" I have looked
quickly, and I can't find the exact place where in the Report this
text might come from; but I didn't look that carefully.  Anyway, since
this is apparently a body ICANN is going to consult, it seems like
there ought to be a definition of who is the "global Internet
community", and I can't find one.  (The same thing is repeated in m.ii
on p 20.)

In subsection n.i, the members of the global Internet community are to
develop a process.  I don't know how membership is determined there.
4.6.a.i has the same body offering guidance.

The term appears in other places, but it usually seems to be a
catch-all for "people on the Internet".  On the whole, I don't think
we believe it is a harmful term, but where there are specific things
to be done it seems either a definition or a specific body or set of
bodies might be better.

(By the way, I'm still going through the document for nits and other
such things, which I plan to send laterin a single roll-up.  These
individual mails are about things where we're not sure where the
consistency with the proposal is, and we're trying to understand.)

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com