[bylaws-coord] Article 6/Section 21.5

Rosemary E. Fei rfei at adlercolvin.com
Fri Apr 15 21:14:59 UTC 2016

Dear teams:

As we review the ICANN comments, a few of them relate to the notice provisions and our efforts to make EC and the EC Chairs Council totally transparent.  So I wanted to close the loop on the thread below.  I have not coordinated on this with Holly, so she may have different views, but we at Adler need some clarification to complete our comments.

Sam and ICANN Legal, I think one thing you are saying might be that where the Bylaws permit the EC Chairs Council to make a communication that's not a notice (and we're pulling together some examples from the Bylaws of these), we should leave transparency methods to implementation?  I don't know if the CCWG feels the same way, so if that's your concern, we can either make communications transparent now, or ask the CCWG if it's OK to leave to implementation.  And if we leave it to implementation, I don't see how the EC makes a decision like that - we've made it clear that the EC can only do what's listed in the Bylaws, and making such decisions isn't there that I can recall.  I don't really want to add a process at this late date for the EC to make other decisions, and I thought ICANN was happy not to have one anyway.  So we're leaning toward expressly providing in the Bylaws now for full transparency of all EC/EC Chairs Council communications, to or from.  Setting aside the exact method (next question) does that work for you?

I think you are also saying it's not appropriate to have the ICANN Secretary (or his/her staff) posting EC stuff, except for notices.  We were thinking the CCWG wanted everything transparent, with the only exception being where transparency would disadvantage the EC in a dispute, such as a waiver of attorney-client privilege.  As the EC has no staff and only the Chairs of the DP SO/ACs acting as the EC Admin as its volunteers, it seemed appropriate to have ICANN taking care of it, as part of the totality of EC admin that ICANN does.  Is there a better option than the ICANN Secretary?  Is there a staff position within ICANN, or an internal ICANN department/group that would be appropriate for this task?  I don't care if it's the Secretary versus some other position; I just would like to assign the ministerial duty to someone.  Other thoughts?  You mentioned an EC website, but again, I'm hesitant to introduce a new concept at this late date.

I will write in a few hours about the Articles of Association question.

Rosemary