[bylaws-coord] Group call today or tomorrow

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Mon Apr 18 15:08:36 UTC 2016

I agree very strongly with Andrew's concerns about eliminating the words "in the root zone" and find Greg's arguments to be unconvincing, primarily because Greg overlooks Andrew's point that ICANN can, via its contracts with  registries and registrars, affect other levels of the DNS naming hierarchy in a limited way.

For that reason, I find Bruce's proposed language to be acceptable. It keeps "in the root zone" in the bylaw language and yet makes it clear that ICANN has some influence (assuming it is within the other mission limitations, including the prohibition on content regulation) over 2nd and 3rd level names when appropriate.

Dr. Milton L. Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology