[bylaws-coord] Agreed text for the first sentence of the Mission

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Apr 19 00:00:56 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 11:46:54PM +0000, Rosemary E. Fei wrote:

> “Coordinates the allocation and assignment of names in the root zone of the Domain Name System, and the allocations and assignment of names by gTLD registry operators and ICANN accredited registrars.”

As I suggested on the call yesterday, I have some reservations about
this, but I'll swallow them.

I continue to believe it is factually incorrect.  Registries and
registrars do the actual allocation and assignment.  ICANN is the
organization in which those other organizations convene in order to
co-ordinate their policies, and ICANN imposes such co-ordination as a
condition of being able to operate within the ICANN-controlled domain
name space.  But if gTLD registries and ICANN-accredited registrars
aren't going to complain, I'm not going to either.  It is an enormous
improvement over the previous proposal (to remove "in the root zone").

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com