[bylaws-coord] Next Steps?

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun May 22 03:38:02 UTC 2016

The comment period has now closed, with approximately 30 comments
received.  The Board will be voting to adopt draft Bylaws on Friday.

It's unclear to me how we will decide what revisions should be made to the
Bylaws in response to comments and proposed revisions in these comments.
It's my understanding ICANN staff will be preparing a summary of the
comments."  But this is just a means to an end -- a tool to be used in the
process of deciding how to revise the draft Bylaws.  [From my experience,
while such summaries are useful, reference still needs to be made to the
original comments in some instances in order to fully understand particular
points.]

I would like to understand:

   1. Who exactly will be preparing the summary
   2. When the summary will be available
   3. What group of people will be review the summary (and underlying
   comments) and considering how to implement the comments
   4. What group of people will actually revise the Draft Revised Bylaws
   5. Who will review and "sign off" on these revisions
   6. What is the role of this group (Bylaws Coordination Group) during
   this period
   7. When the further revised Bylaws will be available

It's essential that the community have a role in this, and this group is
probably best situated to do that (i.e., the role in points 3 and 5
above).  The alternative is turning back to the full CWG and CCWG for this
purpose, which would be unwieldy.  (It might be necessary to bring one or a
few key decisions back to those groups if the way forward isn't absolutely
clear.)

A clear understanding of the process is critical.  It will also helpful to
quiet concerns raised by some stakeholders, including those in my
constituency.

I look forward to clarifying these important issues.

Greg