[Capacity-Building-WG] 2015 Program

Tijani BEN JEMAA tijani.benjemaa at planet.tn
Wed Nov 5 15:21:11 UTC 2014

Thank you Fatima for your mail

I also have some comments although I agree with all the comments made by
Olivier.

My first question is: Who decided that those topics are necessary for
Webinars?

The Capacity Building WG decides. I hope you remember in LA that I promised
to present to the WG a program in 3 weeks and I did. I sent it to you so
that you comment on it. The WG will have a call hopefully next week, and
will modify it if needed and adopt it.

I feel that you have a particular concern on who decide; you asked the same
question in LA and I made it Chrystal clear that it is always the decision
of the WG. At the end of the LA meeting, I repeated to you privately that we
need to work together for the success of the WG. I would like to repeat it
new again that the WG activity is a team work where all the WG members are
expected to participate. It would be very helpful for me if I received
proposals from the WG members who all know that I will present a program 3
weeks after LA. I don’t think that It was better that I don’t present
anything waiting for the contributions.

This WG had in the past the tendency to act in a vertical way and didn't
hear the comments of their members. I hope this situation in this stage can
change.

Can you please be more precise? Are you talking about the pre-summit
webinars program?

In Los Angeles meeting I understood that members of this WG have to ask of
each RALO what the topics for Webinars could be. I asked to LACRALO and I am
waiting the answer of their members.

Exact, and I didn’t receive any feedback so far

In my opinion the Webinars dedicated to IANA transition are excessive and
ex-tempore. If At-Large members were interested in the IANA transition they
could join to the At-Large WG on IANA transition to learn in the process.
With a lot of Webinars on this topic you cannot get that the whole At-Large
becomes experts on IANA transition. In my opinion you are losing an
important number of slots to build capacity on topics that could be really
interesting to our ALSs and Internet end users.

I also think we need at least two Webinars per month.

I add other topics to the list of Olivier (some of them were included in the
Survey to LACRALO in 2013).

-Procedure topics: ICANN Bylaws; At-Large RoP; CWG: how works; Consensus:
what means.

-Substantial topics: PDP in GNSO; GAC and Internet end users; ccNSO (ccTLDs)
and Internet end users; Safety and risk management in Internet; UDRP and
URS; Trademarks and domain names; Internet Protocols and standards;
Monitoring, blocking and filtering and DNS.

All this will be discussed in the WG call

I will collect the comments that LACRALO members make and I will send to the
group.

Please

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Fatima

Thank you Olivier for your prompt reaction.

1.       This program is done to be the backbone of the capacity building
activities of the WG: There will be several other activities that will be
added to it as soon as the dates are confirmed.

2.       Yes, no accountability and governance webinar is now planned. I’m
trying to find the right person for it. Can you please advice?

The WG will have a call soon to discuss the proposed program and the
possible addition of the topics you are proposing.

3.       The IANA functions are very important for the Internet and most of
our ALSes don’t know about them. The program will detail them and explain
the transition. This program is not meant to make the trainees participate
in the proposals for transition, so it is not important that the webinars
are done after the proposals are made.

This proposal is the basic program. The capacity building WG will discuss it
and enrich it as necessary.

----

Tijani BEN JEMAA

Executive Director