[cc-humanrights] Follow up & confcall | was: [ ICANN site selection ]

Niels ten Oever niels at article19.org
Thu Aug 6 14:48:49 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for the great suggestion Jamie. This would greatly feed
into the second (legal) work point (pasted underneath for everyones
convenience). I'll pick it up with CoE and Joy Liddicoat and see whether
we can find a standard for that or else see what IOC has developed in
terms of standards for this.

Some more news on on the second (legal) work front.: CIS India (Vipul
Kharbanda) has graciously offered to also contribute to the analysis of
CSR policies. I'll setup the working plan for the legal part of the work
.

As far as the first working point (ICANN and HR - chart), I think APC
will take the lead and convene that group to continue this work.

Feel free to organize this onlist or offlist, but it would be great if
you could communicate your workplan/deadlines to the list so we can
follow and input and people can tag along when they want.

It would also be great to hear from people on this list whether they
would like to engage, input and/or interface with CCWG work on human rig
hts.

To ensure people are included I would also propose having a conference
call Monday the 17th at 13:00 GMT, looking forward to hear from you
whether there are specific points you would like to discuss.

Best,

Niels

1. ICANN and HR
Volunteers: APC, Rafik Dammak, Dave Cake, Marilia Maciel
- - Chart - correlating rights with policies & operations (WHOIS, EWG, gTL
Ds)
As was mentioned during the public session it would be very helpful to
have a short and concise overview which would illustrate how ICANNs
policies and operations touch upon human rights. This chart should link
concrete policies and operations and their impact on right. This does
not need to be a detailed analysis, but more of an overview.

- - Analyze possibilities of Policy Development Process (PDP) rights
assessment and see if there are relevant upcoming issue reports for
which we could do this (if so setup a draft)
In the current PDP it is already possible to request a rights assessment
as a part of the issue report. This however has not been used up to now.
This activity will see whether there are relevant upcoming issue reports
and research the opportunities for the production of a rights assessment
.

2. Legal: Council of Europe, Article19, Joy Liddicoat
- - Mapping of relevant CSR policies / standards (and see how they could
be reshaped for ICANN)
There are a variety of global standards for CSR reporting. By mapping
the relevant standards and analyzing how they could be implemented by
ICANN. And example might be Cisco's CSR report
http://www.cisco.com/assets/csr/pdf/CSR_Report_2014.pdf#page=10, which
seems to have followed the IHRB recommendations pretty closely
http://www.ihrb.org/pdf/eu-sector-guidance/EC-Guides/ICT/EC-Guide_ICT.pd

- - Mapping of examples/standards for human rights impact assessments
To be able to analyze the impacts of ICANNs policies and operations on
human rights it is crucial to have a method to do this analysis. Under
this work several methods and standards for human rights imact
assessments will be compared to see which would be most fitting for the
ICANN environment.

3. Operational
Volunteers: Rafik Dammak & Niels ten Oever
- - Organize 3 conference calls (1 debrief call) before ICANN54
- - Organize prep call with GAC WG co-chairs and/or WG
- - Set meetings with all constituencies for ICANN Dublin and conf calls
- - Organize meetings in Dublin
- - Organize joint meeting with GAC WG and CCWP HR

Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9